Fighting SPS. Reverse Superman monti vs tabling acro. What to do?

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning!

Been keeping my eye on our reverse superman monti since it was put into the reef about a year ago as the size of a silver dollar. Now, it has encrusted a lot of the surrounding rock, taken over another smaller acro frag and a rainbow monti that had taken foothold but is clearly losing out.

NOW, it has reached one of my favorite tabling acros and has started to climb up the base. It can practically see the daily growth! I got into the tank this morning to chip away at it from the base and man, it's a thick skeleton underneath! Fleshy and slimes!

Any thoughts on how to get this beast to calm its growth pattern? It's a wave of death for other corals. The other corals around it are so happy where they are and to try and move them would be terrible for them. Plus pointless since eventually, they could have no place to go due to this monti.

I just don't know at this point if it's a lost cause and I will always need to tame it by chipping it back or if there are other ways around this.

I guess a good and bad problem to have when growing corals!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would relocate the Acro if possible. If not the endless battle with the monti will go on forever. If the Acro is left in place you could place putty over the monti and when it gets close to the Acro break off the putty and make some monti frags. Also you could use kalk paste to kill off the monti. This may irritate or cause die off on the Acro. Depending on the distance between the Acro and kalk paste. Best of luck.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics! I have a few that are and have encroached killing the weaker.
Not much to do unless you can trim back one or the other.
I need to trim back this pavona soon as it kills whatever it touches and has now made to the above chalice.
Its hard to so since its on the bottom.
20210213_172731.jpg

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would relocate the Acro if possible. If not the endless battle with the monti will go on forever. If the Acro is left in place you could place putty over the monti and when it gets close to the Acro break off the putty and make some monti frags. Also you could use kalk paste to kill off the monti. This may irritate or cause die off on the Acro. Depending on the distance between the Acro and kalk paste. Best of luck.

This makes me sad since the acro has taken a decent foothold on the rock it's on. I didn't think the monti would be THIS aggressive. I have another monti and a lepto side by side on the other side of the tank and even though the 'fight' they keep each other in check. It's not one waving death over the other. LOL!

I'll have to consider moving the acro in the next week or so. :(

OP
OP
InkedReefLady

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics! I have a few that are and have encroached killing the weaker.
Not much to do unless you can trim back one or the other.
I need to trim back this pavona soon as it kills whatever it touches and has now made to the above chalice.
Its hard to so since its on the bottom.
20210213_172731.jpg

This is similar to what is going on here. You can see how much this monti has taken over the rock and is starting to overtake other corals/get close to them. It's seriously a wave of death...but a colorful wave!

You can also see where I have hacked at it to keep it away from the acro....for now. Blues are just on in these photos from this AM.

20210301_082712.jpg

20210301_082647.jpg

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Encrusters are kept on their own rock islands in my tanks to keep them from the main rock structure. In the past I have used epoxy to cover all or part of a coral that's growing in a direction I don't want.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 37.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 26.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back