Figured It Out, How to prevent Zoas and mushrooms from eventually falling off the Plug

56cbr600rr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have glued many zoas and mushrooms onto plugs over time. For me, it seems the success rate is about 50%. I have Lost Forever two Eclectus Jawbreakers, and a few other corals along the way.

Think I figured out a solution. If it's been done before let me know...

Anyways, I took some thread (next time I'll use 2 or 3 lb fishing string) and threaded it through the bottom of the coral. Cut it short with two equal parts of the thread remaining out of the coral. Glue the thread on both ends to the plug, and voila!!!

I'll post pics in a few..
2224AF66-1D3E-456D-84AA-4CC331F3337C.jpeg
83342C2E-4249-407B-A3B6-333B2C496D33.jpeg
994036EA-1BA3-47EF-9DBC-E8E1931F374B.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally I would be concerned of the potential of the zoa or even paly ( as often can be confused) releasing palytoxin poisoning with basically stabbing it and breaking the skin so to speak ?
I'm no expert so unsure if palytoxin comes from the stem or the disc or whatever
What you think on this ? Is it a concern ?

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me personally I would be concerned of the potential of the zoa or even paly ( as often can be confused) releasing palytoxin poisoning with basically stabbing it and breaking the skin so to speak ?
I'm no expert so unsure if palytoxin comes from the stem or the disc or whatever
What you think on this ? Is it a concern ?
Possibly, but I'm assuming its no different that when you cut a zoa or mushroom.

Obviously, do at your own risk.

I've cut MANY zoas, palyzoas, and mushrooms over time and been okay.. Maybe I'm just lucky. I DO sometimes where eye protection, gloves, and N95 mask.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really see the string in the pic but I get the jest.
What's the long-term expectation for the string passing through the coral flesh?
Coral will eventually expel the string or just basically heal around it and string will always be in there? (Newbie question)

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't really see the string in the pic but I get the jest.
What's the long-term expectation for the string passing through the coral flesh?
Coral will eventually expel the string or just basically heal around it and string will always be in there? (Newbie question)
The way corals adapt, i'm pretty sure they'll grow regardless.. The thread could possibly be removed later like stitches later.

I'm also assuming, the thread (or fishing string) is less toxic to the coral than the superglue..

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my luck, the string would be organic and start to decompose inside the coral causing a massive infection -- just kidding.

Fishing line would probably last forever -- I like the idea of snipping and removing like stitches if you can still get at it after the corals attach themselves to the rock/plug.

OP
OP

56cbr600rr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I think fishing string will be better than the thread I used. I recently lost two small Eclectus Jawbreaker mushrooms, I think this will prevent it from happening again...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back