Figured it was time to introduce myself and begin sharing my tank upgrade.

reeferguy125

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had at least 1 aquarium running ( I just felt kinda old) for the past 25 years. Like most I started with a small freshwater setup, progressed to larger tanks, multiple tanks, had everything from guppies to cichlids to clown knifes etc. before attempting my first saltwater tank and failure, at which point I was taking a break from aquariums. Pretty sure that lasted about 3 months at the most. Reverted to fresh water for awhile again until couple years ago, my youngest was moving out soon, I decided it was time to have my reef aquarium.

I bought a new 125G Tank, built my own sump and so on.

I made some mistakes along the way, learned alot more, and managed some success.

Last year I stumbled on an opportunity to purchase a 380 gallon glass aquarium with corner overflows, naturally i jumped on it.

(Anyone thinking of getting a glass aquarium this size, DONT DO IT, go acrylic or you will lose your friends, this thing as beyond heavy.)

My plan was to document the entire process of switching over from the 125 to the 380.

Just my luck, during the planning phase and purchasing the much larger equipment I would need, I witnessed the beginning of a tank crash in my 125.

Thankfully I am blessed to work from home for the family business so I was able to save 80% of the tank, but that pushed me into firing up the 380 a little sooner than planned.

I am about 6 weeks in now, not even close to finished, so thought I would start sharing as the rest of my equipment should arrive in the next couple weeks, so there will be many things to share, learn, and talk about.

I look forward to picking your brains and having a good laugh with everyone!
20210115_230413.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the R2R community and family

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had at least 1 aquarium running ( I just felt kinda old) for the past 25 years. Like most I started with a small freshwater setup, progressed to larger tanks, multiple tanks, had everything from guppies to cichlids to clown knifes etc. before attempting my first saltwater tank and failure, at which point I was taking a break from aquariums. Pretty sure that lasted about 3 months at the most. Reverted to fresh water for awhile again until couple years ago, my youngest was moving out soon, I decided it was time to have my reef aquarium.

I bought a new 125G Tank, built my own sump and so on.

I made some mistakes along the way, learned alot more, and managed some success.

Last year I stumbled on an opportunity to purchase a 380 gallon glass aquarium with corner overflows, naturally i jumped on it.

(Anyone thinking of getting a glass aquarium this size, DONT DO IT, go acrylic or you will lose your friends, this thing as beyond heavy.)

My plan was to document the entire process of switching over from the 125 to the 380.

Just my luck, during the planning phase and purchasing the much larger equipment I would need, I witnessed the beginning of a tank crash in my 125.

Thankfully I am blessed to work from home for the family business so I was able to save 80% of the tank, but that pushed me into firing up the 380 a little sooner than planned.

I am about 6 weeks in now, not even close to finished, so thought I would start sharing as the rest of my equipment should arrive in the next couple weeks, so there will be many things to share, learn, and talk about.

I look forward to picking your brains and having a good laugh with everyone!
20210115_230413.jpg

Hello and welcome to the channel.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back