Fiji cube 22.4 after 15 year hiatus

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick backstory: I had 2 reef tanks: a 90 gallon w/ sump and a 29 gallon w/sump back when I was a teenager. The 29 crashed while I was on vacation when I was in high school (devastated young me) and the 90 was sold after I went away to college. I loved the reef tank but kept convincing myself not to get one. We’ll after snorkeling in Hawaii for 4 years in a row I finally couldn’t resist after this last trip. I purchased a used Fijicube 22.4 AIO from a local here in Portland, OR. The previous owner hadn’t had time and shut the lights off on the tank. When I got it there were 2 tiny mushrooms, some tiny zoas, and a Duncan that I thought was dead. I purchased and moved the tank on 11/5/2022. Here’s it setup that day or a few days later. Also, wow has technology changed and improved since I exited the hobby.

U6yHeuQ.jpg

Starting Specs:
Fijicube 22.4 AIO
Radion XR15 pro G4
Auto top off
DC return pump

Lots have changed since that pic that I’ll update soon

Last edited:
OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The week following I added:

One more arch LifeRock
A media bag of MarinePure
A hygger wave maker
A few corals to test out: leptoseris, leptastrea, zoas, and a blasto
Black storm clown
CUC: turbo snail, trochus snails, hermit, nassarius snails. Tank came with lots of bristleworms

water parameters at the time showed 0 nitrate but phosphates were 0.2. Coral polyps we’re all expanded. Tiny flesh started appearing on the Duncan skeleton. A few aiptasias sprouted up that I immediately hit with Aiptasia-F.

24aDVoa.jpg

OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks later I added a mature black snowflake clown as well as 10 LPS corals from Golden Basket here in Portland. There's space invader pectinia, purple bubble coral, blood tears chalice, radioactive favia, lord, ultra orange lobo, scrambled egg zoas, and a Cyphastrea.

I also picked up the torch, duncan, and octospawn from Cuttlefish and Corals. CUC now includes 5 micro stars and 5 stomatella snails. I've noticed that my alkalinity is dropping at least 0.1 dKH per day. Ordered BRS's 2 part to start dosing soon.

2nd tank shot is from the side. It's my main way to view the tank from my desk.

I have been dosing phytoplankton and added 1 jar of ecopods from AlgaeBarn.

I don't clean the glass often as I want to make sure there's enough food for the snails. When I was cleaning the glass regularly, the snails were falling a lot more.

u08PDcH.jpg

c8zIspd.jpg

OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the updates I have. 2-part came in so I setup the jebao 4-head doser. So far it’s a challenge dialing in the amount due to the 1mL minimum dose. Here’s a shot of my setup:

TxG12x7.jpg

I added an AquaMaxx NF-1 skimmer. I originally was going to use the bubba miniQ but wanted to be able to run a co2 scrubber and that skimmer would require significant modification. Instead the NF-1 was easy to setup. I sanded down a couple wide points and was able to squeeze it in to the chamber in an orientation where I could use the magnetic support. I bought the recirc piece from eBay for the NF-1. Here’s the scrubber setup:

ZVf1oFy.jpg

6NrsPJm.jpg

Last equipment upgrade was a filter roller from ISeaLive. It’s for the Waterbox AIO but the dimensions were close that I figure I could come up with something. So I actually took the circle for the 2-7/8 filter sock and made it rectangular that corresponded with the height that I wanted the filter roller at. So far it’s working well and I like it a LOT more than the socks. Picture is pre CO2 scrubber.

c3BELQ2.jpg

Here’s some tanks shots:

bGJyovz.jpg

qvjzzqK.jpg

Next project is a DI setup. RO isn’t needed with the tap water we have here in Portland. I’ve got most of the parts and will be hooking that up in the next few weeks.

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To help manage the 2 part dosing, you could dilute the alk and ca by 50% with additional RODI. Then double the dose amount to 2ml to account for the minimum dose level of the doser. I did this for about 6 months until the demand increased.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a FijiCube22.4 too and am trying to decide between running socks or using some egg crate in the sock holder to use filter pads.

The roller filter seems nice. How difficult was it to make the sock holder square instead of circle?

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip the socks and use a media basket, either the Fiji Cube one or build your own. They are much more versatile than a sock, allow you to use your own prefilter floss, provide a space for carbon, etc. Socks get dirty quickly, can be hard to find, and are generally accepted as a pain in the rear!

Fiji Cube Modular Media Basket

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll take it. lol Everyone says it.

I do have the media basket, it is really nice, but I can fit the entire media basket under the sock holder to fit more stuff and with eggcrate the filter sock holder will make a great filter pad holder

But I also realized the isealive filter roller that ti_lavender rigged up in his last update is only like 30 dollars more than all the socks I'd need so I am tempted.
Ti says he had to cut the filter sock holder to fit it though. I haven't cut much acrylic.
How did you do it ti?? was it a rough adjustment? Should I buy the filter roller for my 22.4 too?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a FijiCube22.4 too and am trying to decide between running socks or using some egg crate in the sock holder to use filter pads.

The roller filter seems nice. How difficult was it to make the sock holder square instead of circle?
Just a dremel with a drill bit style bit. Measure what height I wanted and then measure the perimeter of the filter roller. If I were to do it again I’d probably see if I could get isealive to custom make one. I’d like better fit so there’s less leakage. Truthfully it’s similar leakage to the stock sock. If you’re interested I can take more pics of the cuts and how it looks.

I’ve seen 3d printed filter cups with floss seem cost effective and not that much work. You could then run media in the cups underneath the floss. I have to run a bag of gfo in the skimmer section. The filter roll replacements are ~$17, so not cheap. I will be looking in to sourcing my own paper. Others on here have said coolant paper is similar.

I do love the filter roller since it’s easy to have my wife advance the roll while I’m traveling.

@Schulks what light are you running?

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Schulks what light are you running?
Someone on here is selling a used Isealive waterbox roller for $70 bucks and it comes with an extra roll. I was about to pull the trigger. The measurements make it seems like a perfect fit but youre having some problems, hmm..

On the filter roll replacements; in one of isealives earlier videos he said he was buying one of the brands filter rolls and cutting them to size. If he is still doing that we could figure out what brand and can cut it ourselves. lol

I haven't started the system yet but I have a kessil a160we and an AI Blade Glow. I have yet to fight to get them positioned correctly above the aquarium. I am hoping the elevated tank rest made for the AI Blades will hold it about 5 inches off the water and that should prevent a shadow from the kessil. tba x(
I am excited to mix the lights for good fish viewing during the day and coral lights on the evening.

OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone on here is selling a used Isealive waterbox roller for $70 bucks and it comes with an extra roll. I was about to pull the trigger. The measurements make it seems like a perfect fit but youre having some problems, hmm..

For that price (even better if that's shipped) I'd definitely get it, provided you are handy enough to cut the square opening. I can provide you the dimensions I used even.

I'm interested to follow along once you start yours up.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I bought the filter roller; it will be here in a few days.
Could you snap some pictures of how you altered the filter sock holder?

I'll be filling up the aquarium and turning stuff on later today.
Will update my build thread soon.

Schulks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a rotary tool and did the thing! It couldn't have come out better. I just cut out the entire bottom except for two strips on the edges where the wings are on the filter roller basket. Then I cut out some squares/glued together pieces the size to hold the basket up from the bottom. It holds it sturdily and directs all the water into it. I even cut out the sides for better flow. 10/10 Thanks for telling me to buy it.

20230128_225852[1].jpg 20230128_225624[1].jpg

OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Schulks that looks amazing! I’m glad you went for it prior to me sending pics. You enhanced the design. I think I’m going to modify mine to match what you did. I like that yours directs the flow. Nice work!!

Also let me know if you figure out an alternative for the replacement rolls.

OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s some update shots. I had to move the tank this past weekend since we’re putting in new flooring where the tank was. No losses, yay! I got a yellow hammer (up top) and a few more acans. Otherwise just been using a metal straw and siphon to remove the bubble algae once a month so it doesn’t get out of control.

ZEHzNXR.jpg

J3XnJdR.jpg

t8e5I2b.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back