Fiji Cube 40 AIO 4th gen review and critique

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends! I want to start off by stating that this is in no way an attempt bash Fiji Cube or sway others from using their products. This is my experience with them and my thoughts on what I believe about this particular product.
I purchased the 40 gallon AIO 4t gen with the plan to setup a new tank in a penensula format. I did not have the tank because I was waiting for the dollar per gallon sale at petco to happen, and I'm happy that it did!
I am very meticulous when it comes to research and making sure things are going to work best for me and look good in the end. Unfortunately there are not really any reviews out there on this product. While looking at the product dimensions I initially thought that possibly there was a misprint or the tanks dimension on the fijicube website was for the outside instead of inside.
When I received the product I was impressed by the quality and overall really like it. I also bout it on sale which I do for everything, I try to be as frugal as possible. As I started reading the instructions for the install I noticed that it said to fill the sides between the AIO and glass with silicone and to use a paper towel to push the silicone into the space. It didn't seem correct to me. I took measurements of the AIO then went to petco and took inner measurements of the 40 breeder. I was somewhat concerned that the difference in size was just over 1". So I'm thinking to myself am I supposed to fill this entire 1/2" gap over 4" deep on both sides with silicone? I mean that will take a 1/2 dozen tunes to do so.
The instructions also said to make sure to fill the AIO with water first before filling the tank because it could cause the insert to dislodge. The instructions did not say anything about the type of silicone to use either, because normal silicone won't hold acrylic to glass very well.
At this point I'm pretty concerned that I made a bad purchase. I have never used Fiji Cubes products before and was baffled that they would even make this product this way. I sent Fiji Cube an email asking if the dimensions on the insert were correct and if they had any tips on the install. I waited 2 days and no response. So I messaged them on Facebook the same question and they responded fairly quickly saying that it is the correct dimensions, and they do it that way because of the lip on the inside of the tank, and that they hope that helped. Sorry FijiCube it did not help! I have worked customer service in the past and that was not good!!
So this AIO is sold as a do it yourself kit. I would assume people buying it are pretty handy. I was doing it to try and save money and try a budget build. If I would have installed it the way they had instructed I would have spent another 100.00 on silicone probably! I did end up spending another 40.00 to make sure it would work properly. I new I would have to buy silicone bit only bought 2 tubes!!
I will be creating a thread where I show how it made this kit work and what I think Fiji Cube should be selling.
I was going to get the protein skimmer that Figi Cube makes to fit in the AIO but after this experience I will not be doing so. I could not believe they would sell a product like this and when asking for help they offered nothing. Another thing that was concerning to me is that the pictures they have on the page for the AIO are from angles where you can't see how the kit fits, deceiving in my opinion.
So here a pics of how the insert fits in a aqueon 40 breeder. Look for my build to see how I corrected this and made it work.

20220507_130115.jpg 20220507_130126.jpg 20220507_130153.jpg 20220507_130203.jpg 20220507_130214.jpg 20220507_130229.jpg

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's quite a gap. I just did the 29g insert on my tank, but I centered it in the middle, and that was my original plan so I didn't fit it for the peninsula. My instructions didn't mention a gap or to fill it with extra silicone?

I know you've already bought your insert, but I know @Tenecor Aquariums just did a thread a while back that spawned a new all in one insert design that comes flat packed shipped. You'd be assembling and siliconing completely, but I think they made the measurements exact to make the perfect peninsula fit in aqueon tanks. Plus, no back panel to silicone in, just the baffles and front acrylic with the weir teeth and hole for return. I can find the thread for you or check out thier website, or give them a DM, they will work with you for sure.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned ant of their products as amazing as all their products look stuff happens in the plant. But times like this is when I am glad to say this is why I just order acrylic sheets and make my own. You can customize it however I see fit with overflow ideas and return ideas.

Use a simple ¾" or 1" bulkhead on the weir side and the return side and BAM you are done. No need to buy adapters or fittings to make RFG's work or anything of that nature. Even with a dremel kit for $10-$15 from Harbor Freight you can make your own weirs and have an AIO kit for probably under $50.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's quite a gap. I just did the 29g insert on my tank, but I centered it in the middle, and that was my original plan so I didn't fit it for the peninsula. My instructions didn't mention a gap or to fill it with extra silicone?

I know you've already bought your insert, but I know @Tenecor Aquariums just did a thread a while back that spawned a new all in one insert design that comes flat packed shipped. You'd be assembling and siliconing completely, but I think they made the measurements exact to make the perfect peninsula fit in aqueon tanks. Plus, no back panel to silicone in, just the baffles and front acrylic with the weir teeth and hole for return. I can find the thread for you or check out thier website, or give them a DM, they will work with you for sure.
This week we will be adding many new sizes to our drop in kits. Along with a "complete conversion" option which will include everything to take a glass tank and make it into a full blown ready to run AIO.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This week we will be adding many new sizes to our drop in kits. Along with a "complete conversion" option which will include everything to take a glass tank and make it into a full blown ready to run AIO.

I am actually blow away by your guys prices wow !!! I need to buy a corner ocerflow to make my tank an AIO but will need to cut it down 2".

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am actually blow away by your guys prices wow !!! I need to buy a corner ocerflow to make my tank an AIO but will need to cut it down 2".
The brand above is made in China. It is sold through distribution. Both of those facts add $$ to the selling price. We make everything here in the USA. No inbound freight or shipping. We sell direct. No distribution markup. And many times we use acrylic drops which we would normally sell for scrap value. For example, we are working on an entire family of frag racks thst will be sold at crazy low prices since the acrylic is essentialy "free".

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will shoot you a PM here shortly and ask you a few questions about a overflow design I will need for my current build. I will need to take a few measurements and send them to you.

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I already have the system up and running bit the kits from Tenecor look great and much more thought out. I have never heard of them but will remember them in the future, thanks!

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned ant of their products as amazing as all their products look stuff happens in the plant. But times like this is when I am glad to say this is why I just order acrylic sheets and make my own. You can customize it however I see fit with overflow ideas and return ideas.

Use a simple ¾" or 1" bulkhead on the weir side and the return side and BAM you are done. No need to buy adapters or fittings to make RFG's work or anything of that nature. Even with a dremel kit for $10-$15 from Harbor Freight you can make your own weirs and have an AIO kit for probably under $50.
I wanted to make my own but my time is limited right now and from the small amount of research the price seemed like it would have been the same. I do think I want to try making my own at some point though and design for my specific needs.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it would habe been roughly $20-$25 for the 2 acrylic sheets and a tube odlf black silicone from Amazon.

I already have the bulkheads,loc-line fittings and VCA RFG's.

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25.00 for the acrylic, that's way cheaper than I would have thought. Do you get that locally?

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No,amazon has it. Just type in acrylic sheets and there is thousands of options. 2x 8"x12" sheets is $8 and the black silicone is $5. The $8 stuff is pretty thin but how thick do you need an AIO,ya know ?

OP
OP
shermoen

shermoen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is link to the thread on the install of the kit.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow weird you post this as just went through this today on a 20long. Exact same issues. Imo several flaws. I did this as to make a QT/coral grow out frag tank.

1. Ifs definitely to narrow. Like a lot. I put mine in the back and shoved it to one side then just siliconed it like crazy. Under, behind and the side. We will find out tomorrow if it holds out water. Because if ir doesn’t its going to get nasty.

2. The edges in the back should be beveled as the existing silicone in the aquarium is still present.

3. There should have been three chambers and not two. I think the 40 has 3.

i got mine in a open box deal through BRS now i can see where the open box came from. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow weird you post this as just went through this today on a 20long. Exact same issues. Imo several flaws. I did this as to make a QT/coral grow out frag tank.

1. Ifs definitely to narrow. Like a lot. I put mine in the back and shoved it to one side then just siliconed it like crazy. Under, behind and the side. We will find out tomorrow if it holds out water. Because if ir doesn’t its going to get nasty.

2. The edges in the back should be beveled as the existing silicone in the aquarium is still present.

3. There should have been three chambers and not two. I think the 40 has 3.

i got mine in a open box deal through BRS now i can see where the open box came from. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
Here are pictures of my Tenecor 20L AIO diy kit. They do ship flat packed. I have not been able to install it yet because I am getting ready to move but it dry fits perfectly and the bottom edges are rounded to fit with the existing silicone of the tank. lt was made to my specifications for an Aqueon 20L. Sorry the pics aren’t better, I had limited time the day I took them but you get the idea.
5734DFC9-90EF-4220-9CB3-4865D1EEFE0B.jpeg
D9B59510-BFAB-40BB-9643-2B7EC0424CAE.jpeg
B2DCC59B-AEC1-41AA-8605-F192BE4D952D.jpeg
90D12CE8-5649-4BBF-8359-C83A11419B2C.jpeg

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of my Tenecor 20L AIO diy kit. They do ship flat packed. I have not been able to install it yet because I am getting ready to move but it dry fits perfectly and the bottom edges are rounded to fit with the existing silicone of the tank. lt was made to my specifications for an Aqueon 20L. Sorry the pics aren’t better, I had limited time the day I took them but you get the idea.
Wish i knew about this.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you don't mind me asking,how much did it cost ?

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't mind me asking,how much did it cost ?
The 20L coast to coast peninsula is $85 which includes shipping. With gas prices going crazy, UPS and FedEx are adding surcharges so this might go up a couple $$. We are working on full conversion kits that will include filter cup / filter sock option, bulkhead, lid, tubing, feed hatches, AIO covers, essentially everything you need to convert a glass tank to full AIO. They should be ready by the end of this week. All the way up to 75 gallons.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 20L coast to coast peninsula is $85 which includes shipping. With gas prices going crazy, UPS and FedEx are adding surcharges so this might go up a couple $$. We are working on full conversion kits that will include filter cup / filter sock option, bulkhead, lid, tubing, feed hatches, AIO covers, essentially everything you need to convert a glass tank to full AIO. They should be ready by the end of this week. All the way up to 75 gallons.
We are working with a few R2R members on retrofit lids. Another one of our open source projects. Here is what we have so far for one member's Waterbox. Pics below. One piece design. The AIO covers are not shown and they will have cord /tubing cutouts. The feed hatches will also have covers. The lids for the conversion kits will look like this. Also take a look at the filter cup / sock option pics.
79DFAEC2-8623-45B2-80E4-8B03E2BE605C.jpeg

6561FC46-F47D-4C16-844F-C1A0DA9CEB00.jpeg

C427F450-A034-47AB-899D-2FABF4CDF8F8.jpeg

CBF182F0-B1D1-48A0-9B9E-FDFCB2637705.jpeg

07992EC8-B839-450E-9716-A614000639CD.jpeg

460BC2B3-0330-45CC-9350-85E6BE91A45B.jpeg

56B50C24-BDBA-4300-9FAD-32C85EE05C22.jpeg

4550E7BF-3E15-45CB-AF24-3924B751C46D.jpeg

4EF5221E-69EB-4849-A4AF-686BF0417254.jpeg

2BF03C59-27CC-418C-B48C-0B0B872EAE40.jpeg

16F6619D-0C5D-434B-806C-C35E2509043C.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back