OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update ? just bought similar tank
Sorry for the super delayed response. I've had some ups and downs since I last updated the thread.

In October, I found AEFW on two of my millepora, and went through an unsuccessful treatment regimen of dipping the infected acros every week and all my other acros every two weeks for 6 weeks. A couple weeks after finishing the 6 week regimen, I found some more AEFW babies in my tank again.

As such, I started a weekly dip regimen (Acro colonies from display and frags in the frag tank) with the plan to go for 6 weeks. I also started dosing KZ FWS at 2x dosage too. The acros were doing really well with the dip and had full PE again within 1-2 hours after the dip. It looked like I was on the right track.

For the dip, I had to remove all of my acros from the tank.
Dip FTS.jpg

Dipped them in CoralRx for 10 minutes
Dip.jpg

Drained them for 30 seconds to 1 minute
Acros draining.jpg

Rinsed them x3
Acros Rinsing.jpg

Unfortunately, I only got 3 dips into the regimen when another disaster hit. On Thanksgiving day, I noticed that these two milles seemed a bit bleached. I wasn't sure what was going on.
Crash 1.jpg

Several hours later, they started looking much worse.
Crash 2.jpg

Within a couple more hours, other acros started looking really pale/off too.
Crash 4.jpg

At this point, I knew that I had a potential crash on my hands. I changed out the carbon, started doing massive water changes, and grabbed some Polyfilter too in case the crash was due to metal contaminants. Turns out, one of my old butt (5-6 years old) reactor pumps had corroded and started leaking electricity into my tank.

Within 48 hours of the crash, these two milles were toast.
Crash 3.jpg

Fortunately, I was able to get things turned around pretty quickly. After I removed the pump, things started looking immediately better. Altogether, I only lost two the two milleporas (both the clones in the display and frag tank). Things have been coloring back up again and healing appropriately.

Here's an FTS from this weekend, 3 full weeks after the initial crash.
Recent FTS.jpg

I'm not sure which direction to go from here. I'm trying to decide on whether I should restart the 6 week dipping regimen again, and when I should restart it. It's been 3 weeks since the last dip, and I haven't seen any signs of AEFW. I continued to dose KZ FWS daily at 2x the recommended dosage during the crash, and am continuing to do so currently.

I'm leaning towards halting the dip and only restarting it if I see signs of AEFW again. Otherwise, I think I'm just gonna do 5 more months of KZ FWS at 2x dosage, for a total of 6 full months.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you realize it was the reactor pump? Seems like you caught it very quickly!

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What made you realize it was the reactor pump? Seems like you caught it very quickly!
Later the GFCIs went out and when I reset the GFCI and touched the tank, I got shocked. Then I had go to through each piece of equipment until I figured out what had shocked me. R.I.P

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Later the GFCIs went out and when I reset the GFCI and touched the tank, I got shocked. Then I had go to through each piece of equipment until I figured out what had shocked me. R.I.P
Well glad you found it! Getting shocked like that is definitely no fun but at least that's all it was.

GoonReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank looks amazing ! How have you like the tank build quality. I’m in the process of setting up my 81G and this is such great inspiration!

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank looks amazing ! How have you like the tank build quality. I’m in the process of setting up my 81G and this is such great inspiration!
Thanks for the compliments! I really enjoy the 81G. The footprint is awesome, and the tank itself is well built. I have no issues/bones to pick at all with FijiCube.

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank seems like it has hit a stride again, and most of the acros have recovered from the crash.

486C9647-82C8-4142-A002-38D60E8AD419.jpeg
8E0B62FA-0ABB-40DB-8DC6-8A3F76F66CDC.jpeg
Looking so good! Nice job! Love the placement and how everything is filling in. The island on the left with the monti Capp is so balanced. Corals and color, just love it. #jealous

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking so good! Nice job! Love the placement and how everything is filling in. The island on the left with the monti Capp is so balanced. Corals and color, just love it. #jealous
Thank you so much for the compliment. It was so hard to stay patient and let things grow in...

chousecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking of diving into SPS, would you recommend ATI essential pros as an easier way for reefers to grow SPS? I'm trying to have a tank looking good like yours

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been thinking of diving into SPS, would you recommend ATI essential pros as an easier way for reefers to grow SPS? I'm trying to have a tank looking good like yours
Most of my Alk and Calcium are replenished by Kalkwasser. I only dose 7ml of ATI Essentials Pro a day into this tank.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2021 has been pretty good to the tank so far. My corals are enjoying the stability, but we'll see how long that lasts (fingers crossed).

Full Tank Shot
FTS 1-24-2021.JPG

Past 4 Weeks of Growth:

Last edited:

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking at this same tank for my upgrade this year. Did the bundle come with all the plumbing or just fittings? I have heard mixed answers.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently looking at this same tank for my upgrade this year. Did the bundle come with all the plumbing or just fittings? I have heard mixed answers.
Just the fittings. You have to get your own pipe and glue.

OP
OP
xiaoxiy

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang I am not an SPS guy but you almost covered me!
soooo how about an update.

PS. nice job drilling the floor for the sump and frag tank :D
Thank you so much for the compliments. It means a lot.

I will try to get new pics and an update up this weekend!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back