Fiji Livestock Ban: Coral and Rock Exports Halted

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry but I really think we're al screwed no matter what we do, Global warming is real it is just a lie that man is responsible. This earth has frozen solid and turned tropical oasis many times before man ever walked the planet.. Its just the nature of the beast... Do ya's really think the Dinosaurs ever thought they wouldn't be the apex predator on the planet?? But things happen over and over and over again just the way it is.. In the mean time some people use the basis to misinform the public just to make profit, been that way since the dawn of man and will continue until our extinction. This is why space exploration should be our #1 global priority not fighting one another but we all know theres more money in war than to save a species. How much did the world spend on Military funding over the last 20 years? Hell do the math we could have had outposts on Venus and mars already with a saltwater tank in each colonists home if we used our finances better. But oh well here comes the onslaught of followers who would disagree. See the TRUTH it will set you free!

It is true that the earth has changed drastically over millions of years. It is silly to assume that the earth can only be affected by its own course. The earth changes on its own, but that in itself is not a logical proof that man has no effect.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um...yes it does - the Prime Minister in Fiji is on the forefront of that precise issue and apparently sees reefkeeping as a threat

https://cop23.com.fj/

Thanks for sharing this. I had to chuckle when I read this part, "This is a place for the concerned public worldwide to begin – or continue – their engagement in the effort to combat global warming and the human activity that causes it." So, why not cut to the root of the problem? Has anyone considered dealing with the root cause of 'human activity'? Seems like 'human activity' is just a symptom of an invisible (or unspoken) "other" problem :) tongue-in-cheek (-:

Maybe, just maybe, more reef tanks in more homes and offices would 'inactivate' more humans rendering them as inanimate zombies for more hours of the day as they stare in calm (i.e. less CO2 emissions) amazement at the captive reef and thus reduce 'human activity'.

Cae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the GBR creeping south? I assume the water is warming in NSW?

Edit for non-antipodeans... NSW = New South Wales in this case.
The southern Great barrier reef starts around Fraser island. Yes the water temperature raises the closer you get to the equator, so the water temperatures would be warmer in southern Queensland then in Coffs harbour New South Wales.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really need to see the data and research on this before taking a side.

Would love to see survival rates for replanted, amount of times replanted, coral growth rates, harvest rates and etc.
So...this type of data has been gathered apparently, not a huge surprise, but I don’t think it’s been published or posted publicly.

But I have a feeling that it will pretty soon. Let’s say it’s more than a feeling. I’m not getting my hopes up that such information will change anything what with the power of the climate change machine being behind this all. I’m pretty sure that no matter what data has been gathered, what is presented, and by whom, the fact that the leaders in this “cause” are making this move as a show of some kind of “worldwide solidarity” means they can’t back down or they’ll look like the fools they are, and you can’t have that.

Some may think that statement is a bit harsh. But it’s approprite, this is totally foolish. There for sure are areas of the world where such action is probably appropriate and necessary to stop destruction.

Fiji is not one of those places. According to everything I’ve read about the coral trade industry there, it’s a global model for what everyone should be doing.

They shouldn’t be shutting it down - they should be holding it on high as a standard for other similar areas to follow.

This is what happens when you try to apply a policy without actually using critical thinking.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right. It is politics and I hate having that in reefing. Reefkeeping should be a time where there is no politics.

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry but I really think we're al screwed no matter what we do, Global warming is real it is just a lie that man is responsible. This earth has frozen solid and turned tropical oasis many times before man ever walked the planet.. Its just the nature of the beast... Do ya's really think the Dinosaurs ever thought they wouldn't be the apex predator on the planet?? But things happen over and over and over again just the way it is.. In the mean time some people use the basis to misinform the public just to make profit, been that way since the dawn of man and will continue until our extinction. This is why space exploration should be our #1 global priority not fighting one another but we all know theres more money in war than to save a species. How much did the world spend on Military funding over the last 20 years? Hell do the math we could have had outposts on Venus and mars already with a saltwater tank in each colonists home if we used our finances better. But oh well here comes the onslaught of followers who would disagree. See the TRUTH it will set you free!
nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the GBR creeping south? I assume the water is warming in NSW?

Edit for non-antipodeans... NSW = New South Wales in this case.

The possibility exists, but it may be dying much faster in the north than it can grow in the south.

Here in Connecticut, U.S.A., the lobster and mackerel that were once common are now rarely seen; meanwhile, lafayette drums and black seabass, once a fish of the Middle Atlantic states have become common.

~Bruce

Hmmmmmm, if the "coral Goldilocks zones" are moving away from the equator faster than nature (natural coral spread) can keep up, perhaps humans can A.D.E. the process and spread coral brood stock into the leading edge of those zones.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They shouldn’t be shutting it down - they should be holding it on high as a standard for other similar areas to follow.

Right there.. That is the best statement when it comes to Walt Smith operation.

Even his rock is man made and is also used by Tampabay Saltwater for aqua-cultured rock.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hmmmmmm, if the "coral Goldilocks zones" are moving away from the equator faster than nature (natural coral spread) can keep up, perhaps humans can A.D.E. the process and spread coral brood stock into the leading edge of those zones.

The real problem is the ph change really at this point and to a lesser effect the change in salinity. The ocean is also more polluted. The ph has changed more in the last 50 years than it did in the 5,000 years before that.. these factors stress the coral also making it harder for them to move.

For fish I see so many people trying to compare this to the freshwater hobby and you can not. Freshwater hobby fish are almost all substrate spawners. That is why clownfish and most gobies are not to bad to farm they spawn on a dead piece of coral or rock. Allot of saltwater fish are broadcast spawners and this creates a problem trying to collect the eggs. Plus allot of saltwater fish only spawn on occasion. The other issue is allot saltwater fish are impossible to tell male or female. It is harder to get them to pair and the fish are soo much smaller so food is a major problem. Allot of the food needs to be harvested live in the ocean. Sometimes it is hard to figure out how to trigger metamorphosis. Some tangs spawn in the hundreds and not pairs. How do you simulate that. They all group up depositing sperm and eggs into the currents like most broadcast spawners to drift with the plankton. Hobby is not there yet or even close on fish.

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The real problem is the ph change really at this point and to a lesser effect the change in salinity. The ocean is also more polluted. The ph has changed more in the last 50 years than it did in the 5,000 years before that..

Not trying to stir the pot here, but how can this even be extrapolated. That's literally using 1/100th of a percent in time to trend 5 millennia.

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pictures of what? Walts operation? There are tons of videos on YouTube.

The reefs, the operation everything that is being looked at in the matter. I was hoping to get a link to someone’s photobucket (or whatever is cool these days) with tons of dive pics in past and present. If you have a YouTube that’s newish and want to share feel.

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

To your point - am I only the one that has noticed Fiji SPS have been coming in bleached literally for the last 18 years? Pretty much none of the named stuff, new or stuff that's been floating around for a while, is from Fiji. I never knew if the bleaching was from natural conditions or something in the collecting and exporting process. But if your reefs are bleaching out I can understand how Fiji would want to pause and re-think things. Even if you are re-planting from your maricultured stuff - if most of is is bleaching out - you got bigger problems.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back