Filefish lying down and not eating

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I found my filefish lying down looking nearly dead. I caught him and put him in my QT for now, but can someone help me identifying the issue? I posted a video of his current state.
BTW the things floating near him is flake food that I tried to feed.

Background information:
I have him since august and he lived in my QT for 2 weeks before adding him to the DT. He was eating well all the time, never noticed anything unusual. All the other fish are fine in my DT. I tried feeding him mysis and flakes (what he normally eats), but he didn't eat anything.

Attachments

• IMG_2456.mp4
    29.6 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This morning I found my filefish lying down looking nearly dead. I caught him and put him in my QT for now, but can someone help me identifying the issue? I posted a video of his current state.
BTW the things floating near him is flake food that I tried to feed.

Background information:
I have him since august and he lived in my QT for 2 weeks before adding him to the DT. He was eating well all the time, never noticed anything unusual. All the other fish are fine in my DT. I tried feeding him mysis and flakes (what he normally eats), but he didn't eat anything.
I hate to say this but fish somewhat thin and is Moribund which is in relation to comatose state and based on shallow breathing and laying on glass will likely not make it. While an air stone may offer oxygen, it will not serve as a cure. There is no medication that will turn this fish around.
Can be that the fish crashed into glass, has internal issue or similar.
When did fish last eat ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say this but fish somewhat thin and is Moribund which is in relation to comatose state and based on shallow breathing and laying on glass will likely not make it. While an air stone may offer oxygen, it will not serve as a cure. There is no medication that will turn this fish around.
Can be that the fish crashed into glass, has internal issue or similar.
When did fish last eat ?
I was afraid that would be the case...
The last time he ate was yesterday, but I agree he looks thin. Could that mean something internal like parasites? His poop wasn't white and stringy as far as I remember.

It could be that he crashed into the glass, but it's a very calm fish that never really swims fast. He looks always kinda chill and relaxed. As far as I know there is also no aggression in the tank and that he got chased or something.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The last time he ate was yesterday, but I agree he looks thin. Could that mean something internal like parasites? His poop wasn't white and stringy as far as I remember.

It could be that he crashed into the glass, but it's a very calm fish that never really swims fast. He looks always kinda chill and relaxed. As far as I know there is also no aggression in the tank and that he got chased or something.
I dont see aggression but they do startle easily. With internal, thinning and lethargic behavior are a couple of other signs- not just white poo

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 on the fish being too thin to likely survive, sorry.
Filefish, being naturally compressed looking, kind get thin on you without you really noticing it.
The cause could be internal parasites, (not all cause white feces). It can also be from simple lack of calories over a long period.
Jay

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the fish being too thin to likely survive, sorry.
Filefish, being naturally compressed looking, kind get thin on you without you really noticing it.
The cause could be internal parasites, (not all cause white feces). It can also be from simple lack of calories over a long period.
Jay
Okay I understand, so maybe I haven't fed him good enough. I was thinking about buying an autofeeder so I can start feeding twice a day. I don't want to make the same mistake again in the future.

I got another video of him today. I feel like his body looks in a weird shape. Maybe it's a spinal injury?
If that's the case, would it be better to eathanize him? I don't want him to suffer...

Upvote 0

JDCagley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a freshwater fish story form when i was a kid, but I'd wait - I had a Jack Dempsy jump from my 29g when I was a kid on vacation. Must have happened within previous 24 hours as I had a neighbor doing daily feeding. Get home, on the floor, dried and somewhat crunchy looking - was my fish. He was a large fish, 8-10" (bigger than a toilet fish). So i tossed him back in the tank to 'deal with it' after we were settled back in. I'll be danged if that thing wasn't swimming around - albeit crooked af - but he was swimming! He swam goofy for almost a whole year and finally was back to normal. I had that fish until I went to college and passed to a neighbor that kept him another few years. I'd wait!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Lowlandreef

Lowlandreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was a freshwater fish story form when i was a kid, but I'd wait - I had a Jack Dempsy jump from my 29g when I was a kid on vacation. Must have happened within previous 24 hours as I had a neighbor doing daily feeding. Get home, on the floor, dried and somewhat crunchy looking - was my fish. He was a large fish, 8-10" (bigger than a toilet fish). So i tossed him back in the tank to 'deal with it' after we were settled back in. I'll be danged if that thing wasn't swimming around - albeit crooked af - but he was swimming! He swam goofy for almost a whole year and finally was back to normal. I had that fish until I went to college and passed to a neighbor that kept him another few years. I'd wait!
Wow that's awesome!
I definitely don't want to give up on him. I try feeding him now for 4 times a day, but unfortunately he isn't eating yet. It's one of my favorite fish and I really hope he makes it. But on the other hand I don't want him to suffer and die in a few days while living in pain...
For now I'll wait and see how it goes, but since he isn't eating it doesn't look good for him :(

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back