OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys & gals think with the video posted this afternoon? Does it shed any additional light on what these might be? If I have to go fallow, I'd rather start sooner than later to get it over and done with.

OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a compressed video a couple of posts back.

I put it on Vimeo in full original quality (4K) to make it easier to view. Check it out HERE in full resolution (4K)on Vimeo. The quality here lets you see pretty darn clearly what I'm looking at.

I put it up on YouTube as well but they only seem to allow 480p60 uploads now (maybe due to the pandemic eating up bandwidth). Take a peak HERE.

Sorry @B Lo, I can’t see the video.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see the YouTube link. it’s really strange. The dots don’t appears to have moved or grown or shrunk or anything. I’m not sure what you should do...sorry, I know that’s not helpful.

OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still appreciate your looking even if you aren't sure what it is that you're looking at. I'm just battling whether to QT every fish in the display at this point and, if so, whether to treat with Chloroquine or with copper.

I can see the YouTube link. it’s really strange. The dots don’t appears to have moved or grown or shrunk or anything. I’m not sure what you should do...sorry, I know that’s not helpful.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said he was in qt with a female right? Does she have the same dots? I think you would see some type of spreading if it was any type of parasite, right? In the video he looks exactly the same as the first pic
Edit: how long has he been in the display?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Granted I don't have great lighting in the QT, the female, who is still in quarantine, doesn't appear to have any dots. The only issue with her is that she's a finicky eater and anxious. She's getting better but doesn't appear to have any other signs or symptoms of any issue(s).

My main man filefish has been in the display just under one week.

You said he was in qt with a female right? Does she have the same dots? I think you would see some type of spreading if it was any type of parasite, right? In the video he looks exactly the same as the first pic
Edit: how long has he been in the display?

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don’t know. I don’t want to tell you to do anything for fear of being wrong. I personally hate catching fish so I would monitor and see what happens. I would absolutely regret being lazy about this though if it did turn out to be something. Have you looked up Lymphocystis?

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would nuke the tank and start over. :p If you listen to the CDC your whole tank is infected. Hard to put masks on all your fish.

Filefish are easy to catch at night. Put him back in quarantine if your uncomfortable.

OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of conflicting info online about Lymphocystis. Some info suggests death is nearly certain to result. Other info suggests the opposite. Some also suggested that strains are particular and are only likely to infect the same variety or extremely similar fish. I don't know what to trust online and, frankly, I am not convinced any of the fish had Lymphocystis despite having been told one of them had it.

I really don’t know. I don’t want to tell you to do anything for fear of being wrong. I personally hate catching fish so I would monitor and see what happens. I would absolutely regret being lazy about this though if it did turn out to be something. Have you looked up Lymphocystis?

OP
OP
B Lo

B Lo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why stop at the tank? Maybe I should nuke the entire house. I have aquatic themed N95 masks for all the fish.

If I quarantine him, I'd quarantine all the fish and treat them. That's the dilemma. If any have anything, I'd treat all. But if none have anything, to treat for giggles is pointless.

I would nuke the tank and start over. :p If you listen to the CDC your whole tank is infected. Hard to put masks on all your fish.

Filefish are easy to catch at night. Put him back in quarantine if your uncomfortable.

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why stop at the tank? Maybe I should nuke the entire house. I have aquatic themed N95 masks for all the fish.

If I quarantine him, I'd quarantine all the fish and treat them. That's the dilemma. If any have anything, I'd treat all. But if none have anything, to treat for giggles is pointless.

You worry too much. Maybe start the immunity style tank like PaulB and I do. ;). It's working for Sweden.

SFREEF3R

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@B Lo I know this is a super old but just curious how this turned out. I have a filefish with similar very small white spots on its fins. I can't tell if it's just part of the coloration or is actually a disease. How did this turn out for you?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.0%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back