Filling a new tank with fresh water in stages?

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm starting out in the hobby (but with a 15 year history with fresh water tanks) and need to fill my new 625L/165G system next week. My RO system will create around 150L a day. So it will take me some 5 days to create enough fresh water.

First I'll start with the sand and rocks. Then fill the tank.

I can think of two things to do next:
- Fill the tank in 4-5 stages over 4-5 days with fresh (RO) water. Keep the water moving in the tank with my wave makers. Mix the salt in the tank when the tank is full.
- Mix the salt in the 150L holding container (4-5 times) over 4-5 days and then add it to the aquarium. Adding even more time to get started.

I'll be using live sand. Would option 1 be an issue?
What would you recommend?

Last edited:

Atherial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 5 gallons at a time since I had a 5 gallon bucket and it was easy to mix the salt. It took me over a week but I was still working on the plumbing in the sump so there was no hurry. I didn't bother with wavemakers until it was almost full.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is always better to fill the tank with Saltwater, rather than RODI, as mixing salt in a tank with rock there might be problematic. Some salt might not get dissolved immediately. Mixing salt in smaller container, without any obstacles as rock is always easier.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filling with just Ro and having live sand would kill the live bac in the sand. So if your ok with losing the live bac then you can fill in stages direct to display.
That’s why I asked. Was afraid of that.
So no, filling with fresh water isn’t an option then. Thanks!

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix salt before you put it in. Get yourself some 5 gallon buckets and a small and cheap power head and mix the salt in those. If your RODI is churning out water fast enough then get two buckets and two power heads so you can keep up. Mix per the instructions on the salt product.

Also - get yourself a kitchen scale and a bathroom scale. Weigh the water and weigh the salt for consistent mixes

When you add it to the tank put a large plate on the sand. Pour the water slowly onto the middle of the plate. Even when there’s like a foot of water in the tank pour the water in above the plate. This will minimize how much sediment/fines gets kicked up by adding water. Remove plate when done. If you dump the water on the sand you’re going to have a tank with about an inch of visibility for a while.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 'little' setback... The Red Sea tank got delivered with transportation damage on the cabinet.
It will take at least a month for a replacement to arrive. So I'm dead in the water, so to speak.

I started producing RO water last week so I now have some 400L stored away. Do I need to throw it all away if/when the new cabinet arrives in a month from now? Or is it ok to leave it stored in the dark for a month?

itgoeson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO is fine stored for a long time - try to keep it sealed to keep out dust / contamination.

Can you fill the whole tank with RO and then mix the salt in the tank BEFORE adding rock and sand? That’s what I did and it worked well for me!

jeffsz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a 'little' setback... The Red Sea tank got delivered with transportation damage on the cabinet.
It will take at least a month for a replacement to arrive. So I'm dead in the water, so to speak.

I started producing RO water last week so I now have some 400L stored away. Do I need to throw it all away if/when the new cabinet arrives in a month from now? Or is it ok to leave it stored in the dark for a month?
Bummer on the delay!!

I would personally pitch it and start fresh when new system is on premise. I recently went from a 30 gal to 110 gal, two things I found useful is to "build" the water in a couple of brute containers. I purchased some cheap power heads and heaters to get it up to spec before transfer. Of course i was combining tanks, not just starting fresh.

Also, purchased a sicce ultra zero utility pump to help with transfer, well worth the money.

Good Luck!

jeffsz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you plan to keep it, would at least put a pump or powerhead in it to keep it moving.

OP
OP
ErikVR

ErikVR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO is fine stored for a long time - try to keep it sealed to keep out dust / contamination.

Can you fill the whole tank with RO and then mix the salt in the tank BEFORE adding rock and sand? That’s what I did and it worked well for me!
That's my plan.
Pumping the RO water from the holding container straight to the tank, mix in the salt and then add the rocks and sand.
It's a black container with an airtight seal. Adding a powerhead will break that seal. Not sure which is worse. But then again, I might be overthinking it :grinning-face-with-sweat:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back