Filling a Tank for the First Time

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquascape is done. Sand has been washed and placed in the tank. Which means it's ready to be filled.

I gonna start making RODI water tomorrow. I have a 44 gallon brute trash can, so I'll be filling the tank 35 gallons at a time.

My question is this: can I fill the tank with RODI, then add the salt directly into the tank? I figure doing it this way will make my life easier, rather than having to add salt and adjust every 35 gallon batch.

Picture of the tank for attention.
IMG_20210702_114105.jpg

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dump in a bottle of bac made specifically for cycling, two pinches of ground up fish food and you're done. it will cycle in a few days wo any testing or tinkering. 3 days w be about right wait for most common mixes. (all this after salt is set and mixed in)

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My aquascape is done. Sand has been washed and placed in the tank. Which means it's ready to be filled.

I gonna start making RODI water tomorrow. I have a 44 gallon brute trash can, so I'll be filling the tank 35 gallons at a time.

My question is this: can I fill the tank with RODI, then add the salt directly into the tank? I figure doing it this way will make my life easier, rather than having to add salt and adjust every 35 gallon batch.

Picture of the tank for attention.
IMG_20210702_114105.jpg
Yes, you can add RODI in first, then add salt. The benefit of that is also that you can while you are at it keep tracking of how much water you added, and so that'll be your true volume of water (tank volume minus rocks, sand, etc.), which can be very helpful for calculations later on. Like say with cycling.

OP
OP
bluecheese

bluecheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can add RODI in first, then add salt. The benefit of that is also that you can while you are at it keep tracking of how much water you added, and so that'll be your true volume of water (tank volume minus rocks, sand, etc.), which can be very helpful for calculations later on. Like say with cycling.

That's was also my thinking; tracking the working volume of the entire system. I have the brute can marked off in 5 gallon increments up to 35 gallons, so I'll have a fairly accurate idea of what I'm working with.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just don’t dump the salt in all at once at the end. It will clump like mad. Add it in along the way or in stages after filled.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's was also my thinking; tracking the working volume of the entire system. I have the brute can marked off in 5 gallon increments up to 35 gallons, so I'll have a fairly accurate idea of what I'm working with.
Sweet! Yeah that should defo work. I am super lazy so have ended up doing this way back when, and then since it worked, just did the same for every other tank. XD

Salt dissolves surprisingly easily so long as there's at least some flow in the tank. Even in areas of low flow.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • None.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.2%

Back