Filling the tank-best way?

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a silly question, but while this is not my first reef tank, it's my first reef tank that's drilled and has a sump. So when I'm filling the tank for the first time, do I fill the display tank and let it overflow into the sump or do I fill the sump separately? Thanks in advance.

rblair

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my preference, but I always fill the tank and let it overflow, that way I confirm the level I have set for the tank. Then I fill my sump to the level I think it needs to be and test it.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always do this during "leak" test after the system has been finished and glued, with tap water. Levels are then established as filling and the return pump is running.

Sump level is determined at after there's enough to run the system without running the return pump dry and turning off the return pump. The back syphon of water into the sump, after that stops gives you a idea of how much the sump can hold when the power goes out. Make a mark on the sump and fill till to that line and turn the power back on. That's your running water level.

rocsec1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I filled the tank and sump to what I had planned the levels to be and let it run.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back