Filter Feeder ID

Harrkim120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

So I've had these little critters in my tank for a while. They have never seemed to bother anything and have just set up near higher flow areas... Across the opening of my turkey wing clam, on algae in the tank and on the intake for the sump. I swore that I had identified them before, but I couldn't remember so I went looking again today and didn't like what I think they might be. Anyone have any input? :)
received_492402867994104.jpeg
received_2370331883252801.jpeg
received_2203069876489364.jpeg

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few of them in my lps/sps tank and have not had any issues. I feel like if you keep the coral healthy with good parameters, then they will overgrow hydroids without issue. If it is a newer tank and they are irritating corals you may want to control them

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1 on hydroids
Theyre not easy to pull off tank but Can be cut off. They also do sting zoas, fish and other occupants. They are attracted to food (who isn't). They seem to feed heavily on the brine shrimp. The worst part about them is that they can sting zoanthids as soon as they discover a zoanthid colony.
It is suggested that long nose yellow butterfly eat them but that's a gamble. One thing that does help is lowering white lights and increasing the water flow in the tank stop feeding the tank , just the fish.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zanclea hydroids, febenzodole seems to be the only effective treatment for these ones. Probably worth some time reading on it as febenzodole will kill all soft corals

OP
OP
Harrkim120

Harrkim120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zanclea hydroids, febenzodole seems to be the only effective treatment for these ones. Probably worth some time reading on it as febenzodole will kill all soft corals

I do agree that my hydrods do look somewhat similar to the ones mentioned above, but all of the pictures I could find had them attached to coral...SPS specifically. Not a single one of mine are attached to coral, they're only on live rock with coraline algae, and near intakes. Doesn't mean that I don't have them... Just wondering if mine are different. ;Bookworm

OP
OP
Harrkim120

Harrkim120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on hydroids
Theyre not easy to pull off tank but Can be cut off. They also do sting zoas, fish and other occupants. They are attracted to food (who isn't). They seem to feed heavily on the brine shrimp. The worst part about them is that they can sting zoanthids as soon as they discover a zoanthid colony.
It is suggested that long nose yellow butterfly eat them but that's a gamble. One thing that does help is lowering white lights and increasing the water flow in the tank stop feeding the tank , just the fish.

I do have a small patch of Zoas... Thankfully they are no where near them. I have been broadcast feeding the tank and I bet that's why there's been a sudden resurgence of them. :(

OP
OP
Harrkim120

Harrkim120

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quite a few of them in my lps/sps tank and have not had any issues. I feel like if you keep the coral healthy with good parameters, then they will overgrow hydroids without issue. If it is a newer tank and they are irritating corals you may want to control them

Good to know. Thank you! :D

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do have a small patch of Zoas... Thankfully they are no where near them. I have been broadcast feeding the tank and I bet that's why there's been a sudden resurgence of them. :(
That will do it

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree that my hydrods do look somewhat similar to the ones mentioned above, but all of the pictures I could find had them attached to coral...SPS specifically. Not a single one of mine are attached to coral, they're only on live rock with coraline algae, and near intakes. Doesn't mean that I don't have them... Just wondering if mine are different. ;Bookworm

The branching ones I think they’re called digitate. But essential the same species. They reproduce really fast if you broadcast food in the tank

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back