Filter feeder on candy cane

HydroJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a candy cane, I dip the coral and there is still something living in it. It looks like some filter feeders, is it harmful to the coral? Should I take it out and dip it again?

511921C4-3FF5-415F-8022-2210052A8B2B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8279.MOV
    36.8 MB

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle. Sessile crustaceans which are harmless filter-feeders.
What I see is the barnacle in the hole inside the coral and its sweeping action is it trying to catch food.
Can't see any feather duster in the one video I watched,maybe it's in another video idk .
But feather dusters crown are different than barnacles and feather duster usually stays out and retracts in when something gets close to it or light changes and a barnacle uses a sweeping action in and out and crown not completely all around if get me .
Like Erin said,I read often barnacles don't live that long in our tanks probably because off their feeding ,but stuff like this,the barnacles and corals can get on just fine usually.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with WheatToast - looks like a coral-boring barnacle of some kind. They won't harm your coral, they probably won't live long, and they won't spread in your tank. So, nothing to worry about, and a neat find while it lasts.

Edit: Also, welcome to Reef2Reef!

OP
OP
HydroJ

HydroJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with WheatToast - looks like a coral-boring barnacle of some kind. They won't harm your coral, they probably won't live long, and they won't spread in your tank. So, nothing to worry about, and a neat find while it lasts.

Edit: Also, welcome to Reef2Reef!
Thank you! This is my very first salt water aquarium!

Attachments

• 0F3B5DAB-9A31-4DBB-A5CF-5BAC59BCA367.jpeg
    0F3B5DAB-9A31-4DBB-A5CF-5BAC59BCA367.jpeg
    142.1 KB · Views: 41

Gadbery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if it’s still alive. Iv always killed and removed them from torch coral as torches are sensitive. Got a candy cane in today with one on it. Only concern is it dyeing and taking a head of my candy cane with it

OP
OP
HydroJ

HydroJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious if it’s still alive. Iv always killed and removed them from torch coral as torches are sensitive. Got a candy cane in today with one on it. Only concern is it dyeing and taking a head of my candy cane with it
They are alive and doing well, the candy cane is doing well too. I didn’t see it breading nor harming corals!

Barb0713

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a candy cane, I dip the coral and there is still something living in it. It looks like some filter feeders, is it harmful to the coral? Should I take it out and dip it again?

511921C4-3FF5-415F-8022-2210052A8B2B.jpeg
I just got a blasto today and one was in there. :)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back