Filter media for copper tank

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already made a thread on me using copper for 5 small tangs that I ordered online. I have a 30 gallon tank that I’m going to treat them in.

Anyway, being an uncycled tank, I’m going to have to do big frequent water changes, but I’m still going to need a filter because the waste will be there.

I think I should buy a filter for a 60 gallon tank; double the size. I just don’t know what media to use inside the filter. I know cannot use carbon, or anything that will absorb copper, but do you recommend those course sponges that I can fit inside and reuse? Or what about filter floss that I throw away and replace? I need something that will catch as much waste as possible.

What media do you use?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Already made a thread on me using copper for 5 small tangs that I ordered online. I have a 30 gallon tank that I’m going to treat them in.

Anyway, being an uncycled tank, I’m going to have to do big frequent water changes, but I’m still going to need a filter because the waste will be there.

I think I should buy a filter for a 60 gallon tank; double the size. I just don’t know what media to use inside the filter. I know cannot use carbon, or anything that will absorb copper, but do you recommend those course sponges that I can fit inside and reuse? Or what about filter floss that I throw away and replace? I need something that will catch as much waste as possible.

What media do you use?

Aquaclear HOB. Use the foam sponge/pad supplied. Add a mesh bag of ceramic media like Fluval's BioMax. Soak the foam sponge and the ceramic media with BioSpira if needed to use quickly; or my preferred Seachem Stability if you can wait for the QT to cycle. Seachem Stability develops a stronger bio system that is stronger and more flexible.

Or the best is to soak the foam sponge and the ceramic media in your established sump for at least 30 days to build bio diversity.

I also add a foam bubble filter with the foam treated the same as above.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back