Filter Media for quarantine tank HOB Filter

blalaw87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good Evening,

I read through https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-quarantine-protocol.825055/page-4 to learn more about the quarantine process and got a lot of good information. I did have a couple questions I wasn't sure about.

I have a 29 long aqueon tank to use for my QT tank that I picked up a couple weeks ago. For the filter I just got a Aqueon Quiet Flow 30 Power Filter. My concern with that is not the filter but the media inside doing the filtration. It seems like filter it came with has carbon and there is a bio media grid that removes toxins as well. I know that while in QT you don't want anything removing the copper while doing the treatment process based off the article above. That is my understanding anyway. Right now I have put the filter in my main DT sump to seed it with bacteria. If that does not work I have in 2 filter cups in my sump BIO balls that I could remove and place in my QT tank to seed the media. But if I do that I don't believe I would want to put those back into my DT afterwards and just wanted to verify that.

Also with a 29 long how many fish should I add to the QT tank. I know that once I start the QT process any new fish that get added I would have to start over. I am not looking to add a ton but would 3-5 be too much for this process as long as they are peaceful or is it better to just stick with 2 or maybe 3?

Thanks for the help!

TexanCanuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there ... smart move building a QT system!

You are right that the key is creating some bio material you can add to your HOB filter that is "pre-seeded" with bacteria from your DT so it can do its job ... but once you use that media in a quarantine scenario you should NOT return it to the DT.

I use ceramic media for this purpose ... I keep enough extra material in my regular sump so that it is fully-loaded with bacteria ... then, when I need to setup the QT, I move it to the HOB filter on the quarantine system ... once I'm done with the QT setup, I throw it away and add new stuff to the sump in the DT for the next time.

I know there are other folks that simple sterilize the media using Potassium Permanganate and then return it to the DT, but I'm my view this is more trouble (and risk) than it's worth.

Don't use any other filtration media in your QT (i.e. no carbon) ... in your QT system you should only run mechanical filtration (i.e. filter floss) and bio media.

You can add as many fish to the QT as will get along ... with a 29 long you can easily accommodate half a dozen at the same time (assuming each fish is only a few inches long). Just remember that you will have to do very frequent water changes on the QT to maintain water quality (even with the pre-seeded bio material, a lot of the antibiotics you will add to the QT system will impair its function).

For a great look at a rigorous quarantine process, look at Marine Collectors or Dr Reef's Quarantined Fish ...both vendors walk you through the quarantine process they use on all of their fish.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above but I use old fashion bio balls That are primed in already running refugium’s. This allows me to clean them thoroughly between QT runs and add them back into the tanks for reseeding

benmed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many bioballs do you think is necesssary to seed a QT? Obviously this depends on the size of the bioballs and size of the tank but just looking for a rough estimate… one per gallon? Half per gallon?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back