Filter media?

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you guys change carbon/ poly pads if you are running them. Don't know much about the effecient span of carbon. I would assume you could just wash out poly/ filter floss and reuse. But I would think carbon eventually reaches a saturation point?
Thanks.

Big D

Master of my Domain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Poly-Filter will pretty much tell you when it needs to be changed based on color. As far as carbon, I'd say once a month depending on how much you're running.

D

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run hang on the tank filters just to run carbon. I change the carbon once a month. I have a few softies in my SPS tanks and I feel the carbon absorbs whatever chemical they give off that would irritate the SPS. It may be my imagination but I also think I see better colors, maybe because the water is just a little bit clearer and the light can penetrate better.

Just my .02

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon - 2 weeks

Filter socks, pads, washable products... The more often you rinse them the better. I use filter socks in my current setup, and change them twice a week.

Mariner

NARC Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I INTEND to change carbon every two weeks...usually winds up being about once a month. From the reading I've done, I believe that carbon is saturated within two weeks, and in most cases it does most of its work in the first two or three days.
FWIW,
Mariner

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I INTEND to change carbon every two weeks...usually winds up being about once a month. From the reading I've done, I believe that carbon is saturated within two weeks, and in most cases it does most of its work in the first two or three days.
FWIW,
Mariner

I read some of the same articles I think. they said to use less carbon and change more frequently. It also varies per tank. If you don't have a lot to remove then you may be wasting carbon by switching it out frequently. The same about phosphate remover. If your phosphates are high the media can be saturated in 24hrs. I tried and reduced the amount of carbon in my reactor and switched it out weekly for about 3 months and saw no difference. I went back to once a month. Just an experience of mine.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon and GFO every two weeks. I use Bulk Reef Supply dual reactors. Filter socks every two or three days.
Gary

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gary - Whats the purpose of the socks? Detritus? Don't you think they would remove beneficial things too like pods, micro stars, ect.? Just wondering.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my system, the primary function of the socks is to contain splashing/noise from the drain pipe. The added benefit is that they are very effective at removing detritus. I'm often amazed at how much they remove. I've never seen any pods, micro stars, or other little critters in the socks, and I always check them because crabs sometimes fall into the drain. The only drawback is that they have to be switched frequently and I'm always bleaching socks.
Gary

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only drawback is that they have to be switched frequently and I'm always bleaching socks.
Gary
+1

I've got a bunch of extras on hand, so I usually end up doing a load of them once a month when I'm down to my last one.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several, too, but they have rigid-plastic tops/rings and would not be treated well by a washing machine spin cycle. I bleach four at a time in a bucket. Not a big hassle, but one of those "grunt" jobs that I wouldn't miss.
Gary

Tswifty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on that, I purchase the drawstring ones, then just tie them around one of my plumbing supports to hold them in place.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back