FILTER SOCKS - do you need them, alternatives and the great debate

Do you use filter socks or some other replacement alternative for it?

• YES - Filter Socks

Votes: 105 48.4%
  • No - I use something in its place.

Votes: 69 31.8%
  • No - I got NOTHING in there!

Votes: 43 19.8%

• Total voters

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finally got an all in one insert that included a filter sock. It would clog in a day and restricted flow to the point the return pump almost running dry. I cut coarse blue foam to fit in the sock holder, so now it catches large particles but doesn't impact flow. I only used the filter socks for about 2 weeks before trying the foam. I haven't had to rinse the foam yet and I'm on 2 weeks of it being in there, no reduction of flow. I plan on rinsing the foam when needed but have replacements precut if needed.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a filter sock but I allow a percentage of water to bypass it to keep my sump level at one spot in that chamber. I do use a turkey baster every so often to suck the accumulated crud out of the sump. It's really not that bad.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use .... nothing at all. No filter socks no rollermat no filter wool. No need for any of them IME.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have often used nothing and my tank did just fine. I have it fairly heavily stocked, (10 fish in a 56 gallon) and feed heavy so have recently put some poly-fill in a filter bag and set it in the tank side of my overflow box. I change it once a week when I do a water change and it catches a lot of detritus.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used and not used them as well as filter sock rollers.

Im not sure they were some magic nitrate-reducing tool. The BRS video, if you believe it, required changing them every 3 days to make them an effective nitrate reducer- although at this point I have to believe they were just trying to sell you filter sock rollers.

I changed mine weekly (I refuse any ongoing maintenance that needs to happen more than weekly). I also didn’t wash them because…gross…and bristle worms.

What they do is keep your sump clean. So many people complaining of things like clogged flow sensors and ATO’s stuck ‘on’ probably not running filter socks. Sure you can vaccuum it out but it doesn’t stop it from gunking up equipment.

Just my 2 cents

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fuji Advanced Reef Sump... The beauty of this is I can replace the filter sock holder with the included basket. This allows me to put a 100 micron pad at the bottom of the basket, then a Intank filter pad on top of it. I filter from about 500 microns, to 200 microns then finally though the 100 micron pad. The material is very cheap and disposable. The benefit of this is that the bottom of the basket sits above the water level in the sump, so like a fleece roller the waste that is caught is not sitting in the sump water where it can dissolve and deposit into the system. With my current bio load I replace the pads every five to six days.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What they do is keep your sump clean. So many people complaining of things like clogged flow sensors and ATO’s stuck ‘on’ probably not running filter socks. Sure you can vaccuum it out but it doesn’t stop it from gunking up equipment.

Just my 2 cents

I have no wool no socks and no roller filter. Neither my Tunze infrared or the float sensors get clogged up and I only clean them once every 3 ir 4 months.
I don't get a lot detritus in my sump either. I have loads of tiny tubeworms in my sump. I do have a number of detrivours in my DT sand as well. I do feed a fair bit as well a little and often.
Detritus is a good food for many corals. I like nature to achieve a good balance as much as I am able.

Last edited:

Patientman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks for me ... I have a tendency to overfeed ... like my fish fat and happy ... so the socks help keep larger portions of waste material out of the rest of the sump.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no wool no socks and no roller filter. Neither my Tunze infrared or the float sensors get clogged up and I only clean them once every 3 ir 4 months.
I don't get a lot detritus in my sump either. I have loads of tiny tubeworms in my sump. I do have a number of detrivours in my DT sand as well. I do feed a fair bit as well a little and often.
Detritus is a good food for many corals. I like nature to achieve a good balance as much as I am able.
Amazing how everyone’s buckets of water can be different. I had no issues with hardware but did end up with about an inch of silt and accumulation (and a ton of fauna) in my back compartment of my ATO.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, filter socks help. And yes, I absolutely hate them. They're a hassle to change, a pain to clean and I've been looking into fleece rollers for the past few months.

The problem with my scenario isn't what I gain - but what I give up. I lose a gravity-fed ATO and have to permanently remove the filter sock/media holders. I also end up with a small unusable section of my sump where the overflows currently empty.
I used to feel the same way until i started using a power washer. I actually use a power washer to clean most items in my tank. Make short work of build up and pretty fast without any of the harsh acids. Just remember for the filter socks keep the nozzle at a distance. Thank me later.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to feel the same way until i started using a power washer. I actually use a power washer to clean most items in my tank. Make short work of build up and pretty fast without any of the harsh acids. Just remember for the filter socks keep the nozzle at a distance. Thank me later.
I switched to a ReefMat. Haven't looked back...!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back