Filter socks in the laundry

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my wife was helping me with tank maintenance and she accidentally washed the filter socks with laundry detergent instead of bleach. Can I re-wash them with bleach and they'll be fine or should I trash them and get new ones?

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you guys bleach them you not worry about chemicals getting to tank? if you put bleach let's say,are you doing another spin with stuff like Prime?

OP
OP
SaltLifer

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when you guys bleach them you not worry about chemicals getting to tank? if you put bleach let's say,are you doing another spin with stuff like Prime?
I have (had) 6 socks. I let them air dry for a week or more before they go into the tank. Never had any issues. That's just how I was told to clean them when I first got started.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I wash mine with bleach and I've never had an issue btw.
1. Run a cycle with an empty washer with a little bleach to clean the machine.

2. Wash socks on hot cycle with minimum amount of bleach.

3. Run socks an extra rinse cycle.

4. Hang and let completely dry before use.

So when I've gone through about half of my socks then I'll wash a load. This gives the freshly washed ones several days to dry out by the time they get put into use. I've been doing this for years. [emoji4]

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach breaks down very quickly, that is why most recommend rinse and let air dry for a day. I would either rinse the heck out of those socks or just get new ones. Not sure I trust most laundry detergents. Too many variables.

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,so how often you guys change socks? I do it every week and that's time when i clean them( no detergent or bleach!) Somebody told me recently to use bleach because it's needed.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok,so how often you guys change socks? I do it every week and that's time when i clean them( no detergent or bleach!) Somebody told me recently to use bleach because it's needed.

That varies for everyone. For me it's about every 3 to 4 days. I feed heavy. [emoji4]

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8 socks. When it's time to change ( 5-7 days) I take the dirty sock and use the hose outside to get as much of the gunk out of it. From there it goes in a bucket of water. When I'm down to my last sock I take all the socks from the bucket and throw them in the wash with some bleach, I turn them inside out first. Once done I turn them inside again and run them through the wash again this time without bleach. By the time I'm ready to replace the last sock a few days later the ones I cleaned are dry and ready to use.

Bigfishy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I change my socks every 3 days. Flip inside out and wash by had to get the dirt out. Then put in a bucket. When I am down to only one sock left I throw in the washer and wash on hot with bleach. After done washing I put in the dryer. Being doing this for years without issues

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back