Filteration questions for a 55g tank

Nevadensis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MarineLand Canister Filter, supposedly can support tanks up to 97-gallons. Is this fine to use for a FOWLR 55g or 75g tank? I'm assuming yes, but further clarification is appreciated.
If these canister filters work as efficiently as advertised, why do people drill their tanks and use more complex/larger filtration systems for under 97-gallons?

Do you think the aforementioned system (canister + lots of surface area for bacteria to grow on, e.g., live rock) is 'PUSHING' the boundaries, or do you think its a very comfortable fit? How much live rock is considered 'enough'? Is the canister enough for water flow or should I add something else?

I bolded the most important questions.
Thank you.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MarineLand Canister Filter, supposedly can support tanks up to 97-gallons. Is this fine to use for a FOWLR 55g or 75g tank? I'm assuming yes, but further clarification is appreciated.
Yes it is... 'fine'.
If these canister filters work as efficiently as advertised, why do people drill their tanks and use more complex/larger filtration systems for under 97-gallons?
Because they don't want just 'fine', they want something better. Or to be more accurate, canister filters are just a pain (imo and ime). Personally, I don't really want to drill my tanks either. But then I'd prefer a HOB over a canister. Because the 'extra' filtration capacity of a canister is not really necessary for a marine tank either. Might as well use a HOB and chuck in the few things I want to hide in it and tada. But then if I really need the extra space, I'd go through the pain of drilling and plumbing. You can work with a sump much more easily than a canister, again imo and ime.
Do you think the aforementioned system (canister + lots of surface area for bacteria to grow on, e.g., live rock) is 'PUSHING' the boundaries, or do you think its a very comfortable fit? How much live rock is considered 'enough'? Is the canister enough for water flow or should I add something else?
You don't even need a canister filter. You only need live rock + powerhead and that works too. For a 55g to 75g, a powerhead or two is preferable, regardless of there is a canister or not. For many people, the filtration system is almost basically just for circulation than anything. 1 to 1.5 lb of live rock per gallon is often considered enough.

I don't like canister filters, but it does work. So if you really want to, then yes you can use a canister filter. I just don't recommend it, because there are better alternatives imo. But yes, again, it does work.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 141 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 28.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.7%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.2%
Back