Filters

Ken22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the recommended Filter for a 36 Gallon saltwater tank with live rock? I am using the carbon hang on filter that came with the tank but was reading about these canister filters that are waaaaay more expensive but was wondering if they are worth it? Also what's involved with these canister filters??? How are they different?

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the big question is how much bio load do you have and how often are you willing to change the filter. i know of some people who just have the HOB and don't use carbon and do well. they have a light load. the canisters are useful for using a lot of media and with a lot of animals which poop a lot. good luck. the most expensive option is sometimes just overkill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Ken22

Ken22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the recommended Filter for a 36 Gallon saltwater tank with live rock? I am using the carbon hang on filter that came with the tank but was reading about these canister filters that are waaaaay more expensive but was wondering if they are worth it? Also what's involved with these canister filters??? How are they different?
So what I'm getting from reading all these posts about filters etc. is that this can get really really complicated! I wish there was a way to have a tank that was nearly hands off with regards to filtration. In other words just pretty much just set it and forget it! For a while any way!

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back