Filtration In a Bottle = Genie In a Bottle?

Do you use any types of "Filtration In a Bottle" in your reef aquarium?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • NO

Votes: 177 56.9%
  • No but may try something in the future

Votes: 35 11.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's mid-week and we're rolling along on the filtration train! We've had some pretty good discussions going and this one should be no different. Wouldn't it be so nice if there was liquid in a bottle, like a genie in a bottle that you could pour into your dirty reef aquarium and then.....voilà, your tank was clean? Let's talk about it today!

How do you know if chemical filtration products are beneficial to your tank?

What do you use and how do you use it?

filtration in a bottle.jpg

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use MB7 (possibly bacteria in a bottle) to mix DIY Coral Snow per @SunnyX. I dose it once a week as part of my maintenance routine... Blast rocks with turkey baster, scrub problems areas with a brush, then dose DIY Coral Snow. The process seems to limit the excess organic mass that wants to build up on my rocks, makes the water very clear, and seems to make it hard for Cyano to get a foot hold.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I marked no, but now that I am thinking about it. Would NP-Bacto count? If that counts then I have used it for over a year and felt like I had zero understanding of my water's general chemistry during that entire period. No longer use it and feel much more secure about what is happening in my tank.

Aspect

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Only thing I ever added from a bottle was "live" nitrifying bacteria. Other than that, I don't like to add chemicals to my aquarium as I feel like it's just not natural.

james670

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing DIY coral snow (calcium carbonate) mixed with MB7 every night after blowing cyano off my sand. I just happened to stumble upon the DIY coral snow thread when it was still new while looking for non-ChemiClean methods of dealing with cyano.

While my cyano is still there, my water clarity has improved greatly!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I marked no because I don't use anything regularly. Use some Lanthium occasionally when needed to keep my PO4 around 0.1

Back