Filtration In a Bottle = Genie In a Bottle?

Do you use any types of "Filtration In a Bottle" in your reef aquarium?

• YES (tell us in the thread)

Votes: 93 29.9%
  • NO

Votes: 177 56.9%
  • No but may try something in the future

Votes: 35 11.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much per gal. I dose mb7 and mb clean weekly or bi weekly rotating. And can you dose both at same time
Jack Kent from Brightwell was on Rappin with Reefbum and said that he would only recommend using both products on well established systems. And then to alternate days between the two products.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use MB7 (possibly bacteria in a bottle) to mix DIY Coral Snow per @SunnyX. I dose it once a week as part of my maintenance routine... Blast rocks with turkey baster, scrub problems areas with a brush, then dose DIY Coral Snow. The process seems to limit the excess organic mass that wants to build up on my rocks, makes the water very clear, and seems to make it hard for Cyano to get a foot hold.
This, I use it too!

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find this thread interesting and wonder how much it relates to the Biome cycle experiment currently under way at BRS. There is a ton of real experience out there in fighting this like cyano that work for some but not for others. I get the impression that is because the things that are unseen and untested in our tanks make more of a difference than we thought, and a little bit of a shotgun approach "may" fix it, but it might not.

That said, @ReefGeezer , have you tried adding a healthy dose of copepods to your tank? That is probably pretty close to "filtration in a bottle"!

Just curious. It helped mine, and I tried every non-chemical remedy, but I ended up having to use chemiclean at half the recommended dose to finally get rid of it. I am sure it was a biome imbalance issue, but since I didn't and can't measure that now, I will never know.
The DIY Coral Snow seemed like a good answer for the excess organic matter that tended to build up on the rocks. I also hoped it would yield that super clear water I see in so many cool tanks. It did by the way & I am very happy with that.
I have a very healthy Copepod population driven by a cryptic fuge. The pods, as well as the microbial Biome, were established by ocean cultured live rock rather than from a bottle. The little bit of MB7 I use once a week probably has little to do with the Biome. I really think that "if" MB7 contains bacteria, it is short lived due to excessive competition when added to an existing Biome. I really hope I'm wrong. It would be much better if the DIY Coral Snow transported bacteria contained in MB7 to the surfaces of my tank to form a new niche in the Biome that preys on organic material and Cyanobacteria.

kdtorgy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's mid-week and we're rolling along on the filtration train! We've had some pretty good discussions going and this one should be no different. Wouldn't it be so nice if there was liquid in a bottle, like a genie in a bottle that you could pour into your dirty reef aquarium and then.....voilà, your tank was clean? Let's talk about it today!

How do you know if chemical filtration products are beneficial to your tank?

What do you use and how do you use it?

filtration in a bottle.jpg
Does PNS ProBio from Algae Barn count?

w8lifts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much per gal. I dose mb7 and mb clean weekly or bi weekly rotating. And can you dose both at same time
I just do 20ml mb7c on dosing pump every night, and 20ml mB7 with calcium carbonate once a week. Tank 75G with 30G sump. I just picked 20ml as a starting point and just kept with it, been doing it for a few months now. It has kept my ugly stages at bay for awhile now, have a slight cyano outbreak right now but is manageable.

Indeva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose a smidge of Nopox daily. Seeing that my tank is an AIO, the skimmer just doesn't pull enough. Nutrient surplus is my fault because Its hard not to reward the longnose hawkfish when he puts so much effort into his mealtime dance.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank!! What size is it and how old?
Last July 2021, I took down my 90g and put this 180g in its place, me and the wife took 12 hours! So a little over a year but all the fish and corals came from the 90g except the dragon eel, broomtail wrasse and the Miniatus Grouper, added them shortly after. All the acros from my 90g I sold and gave to my friends so I wouldn't have to baby sit them with the swap and the $ I spent on the broomtail wrasse and dragon eel $1500 total for both.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And that's your right. it's still not filtration. it binds things...it doesn't filter things.
Agree with you - BUT - how would you answer the given question abour'chemical filtration' or 'bacteria in a bottle filtration'?. The topic was not 'filtration' but specifically a word that is not defined properly. I think that's all people are trying to do - right?

jenniferreichardt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full zeovit so lots of bacteria added. That is biological filtration bc it “cleans” the water. My other 2 tanks have M7 dosed daily. No chemicals.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what you mean by filtration in a bottle so I voted no! I do dose Mb7 once a week and recently started dosing MBclean! I used to dose Vibrant until I spoke with Brs and asked why they quit carrying it along with everyone else and he said they found out there is no bacteria in it an is just an algaecide so I switched to clean! I also had someone sell me some frags with cyano or something red all over them that he claimed was coraline but soon after my rocks started getting a red mat on them so I dosed some chemiclean and at first I didnt think it worked because red stuff on my sandbed was still there but I think its flow related! Long story short I dont know if it was the chemi clean or the mb clean that has my walls staying so clean! I didnt really need to barely touch them when I did my biweekly water change!

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pay me and I’ll tell! Otherwise not gonna give up secrets!!

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used additives to control nutrients, so my opinion probably doesn't mean much. BUT... Here goes.

There has been some question as to whether carbon dosing, using bacteria-based products or binders are actually filtration. I guess alone, probably not.

But if the purpose of carbon dosing is to increase a bacteria population that consumes nutrients, and then is exported via the skimmer...

If using bacteria-based products which essentially perform the same function...

If using binding agents that are eventually exported via filter socks and/or the skimmer...

Then yeah. These methods are the first step in a chemical and/or biological (combined with mechanical) filtration system. From what I've seen they can be pretty darned effective if done properly.

Spicy Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no such a thing as

"Filtration In a Bottle"

unless you have some sort of filter such as filter floss or filter sock or... in a bottle and you pass the water through it :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with those who believe that the bacteria in bottles counts as filtration. Bacteria in our sand, rocks, sump, water is our filtration system. So by adding more diverse bacteria, we are adding to our filtration.

I dose Nyos zero & biodigest, mb7 and mb clean. Going to go to a daily dosing. I also dose nopox

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back