Filtration question

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about what I will need for a 125 gallon sump I'm setting up on a 315 gallon fowlr tank, will it work to just have a really large skimmer in the sump for removing the waste and then live rock in the tank for my bio filtration? Would that be sufficient or are there other things I should build into the system? Ive never set up a sump before and have no experience with a skimmer just have always used canister filters before. Any advice much appreciated

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question about what I will need for a 125 gallon sump I'm setting up on a 315 gallon fowlr tank, will it work to just have a really large skimmer in the sump for removing the waste and then live rock in the tank for my bio filtration? Would that be sufficient or are there other things I should build into the system? Ive never set up a sump before and have no experience with a skimmer just have always used canister filters before. Any advice much appreciated
Honestly it’s really just that simple for a FOWLR. I’m settling up a 360 gallon and I have a huge custom skimmer and plan on 300+ pounds of rock and sand. That plus water changes and you should be good to go. I’m not in the school of thought you need a UV sterilizer and am highly suspect of their actual benefits compared to the extra space required for one large enough for a 300+ gallon set up. Some may suggest a refugium or algae scrubber and while they hold a lot more merit than uv I still don’t feel they’re necessary.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly it’s really just that simple for a FOWLR. I’m settling up a 360 gallon and I have a huge custom skimmer and plan on 300+ pounds of rock and sand. That plus water changes and you should be good to go. I’m not in the school of thought you need a UV sterilizer and am highly suspect of their actual benefits compared to the extra space required for one large enough for a 300+ gallon set up. Some may suggest a refugium or algae scrubber and while they hold a lot more merit than uv I still don’t feel they’re necessary.
I appreciate your perspective, in your opinion would a SRO 5000 reef octopus skimmer be enough for a 300 gallon? I plan on having triggers tangs and Angel fish, probably puffers also. The 5000 is rated for 300 gallon heavy bio load 500 light. Also I have a f6 canister would it be beneficial do you think to run just carbon in that or would that be unnecessary?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate your perspective, in your opinion would a SRO 5000 reef octopus skimmer be enough for a 300 gallon? I plan on having triggers tangs and Angel fish, probably puffers also. The 5000 is rated for 300 gallon heavy bio load 500 light. Also I have a f6 canister would it be beneficial do you think to run just carbon in that or would that be unnecessary?
Skimmer should be plenty. I’m not a big fan of running carbon with fish especially not on a consistent basis only occasionally. I think you could just run the carbon in a media bag in your sump where there’s flow and be good.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer should be plenty. I’m not a big fan of running carbon with fish especially not on a consistent basis only occasionally. I think you could just run the carbon in a media bag in your sump where there’s flow and be good.
Thank you very much, one more question if you can, is it possible that the skimmer I mentioned would be too powerful? I've heard they don't function well if you go overboard

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you very much, one more question if you can, is it possible that the skimmer I mentioned would be too powerful? I've heard they don't function well if you go overboard
For the type of fish you want to keep I think it’s a solid option. Definitely not oversized especially with the puffers and triggers being sloppy eaters. For example here’s my custom lifereef I’m using for 360. It’ll run with two Jaebo dcp 8000s.
B64537C6-C136-4A92-8D81-5D4E66254C23.jpeg

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that will work, I believe it's called a berline style sump.
I am a big fan of filter mesh instead of socks changed every other day. or filter rollers. no not needed but helpful

with a 125 gallon sump you're have room might as well add a fuge, ATS or the like to soak up some of the Po4/No3 again not needed but why not those puffers and triggers are messy I hear.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the type of fish you want to keep I think it’s a solid option. Definitely not oversized especially with the puffers and triggers being sloppy eaters. For example here’s my custom lifereef I’m using for 360. It’ll run with two Jaebo dcp 8000s.
Wow that looks awesome, 360 is huge what kind of fish are you going to keep?

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes that will work, I believe it's called a berline style sump.
I am a big fan of filter mesh instead of socks changed every other day. or filter rollers. no not needed but helpful

with a 125 gallon sump you're have room might as well add a fuge, ATS or the like to soak up some of the Po4/No3 again not needed but why not those puffers and triggers are messy I hear.
How does that work with filter mesh?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
A canister may not be adequate for a primary filter especially being a mechanical filter. You want to have mechancical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
As for skimmer, the 5000 is fine but you can even use the 3000 series. It will remove organics but not do the total job for the tank.
Assuming you have a sump, there are a couple of typical configurations below but generally filter socks, refugium and a skimmer and return pump are the ingredients

1680474475897.png
1680474560771.png

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does that work with filter mesh?
if you add filter socks holders to the sump. they make HOB ones if you dont want to silicone or glue then to the sump.
then get filter cups instead of socks and just add the filter floss to that. I get the stuff at big box hobby stores meant for pillow stuffing. just make sure there is no additives and the like.

here's one style of HOB cup/sock holder:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clif...=13272&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

here are the filter cups:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-fi...D=7868&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

the idea with socks/floss is a pre filter to catch the stuff before it breaks down. its works great BUT you have to change the socks/floss to remove it from the tank or else it does not work.
the floss is a cheap way of doing it and for my reef I was changing it out 3X a week.

there are automatic filler rollers out there where you dont have to change it out as often maybe once a month. but there $$$ like this one:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef...HMDHpHA2JD1vAq5PsiPHrq49Rt7BHX14aAqv5EALw_wcB

there are many was to filter your tank but IMHO with messy fish ones wants a robust filtration system in place.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh also look at the lifereef skimmers. some people swear by them. they last decades and you can use any pump you want + upgrade them down the road if say you end up with a larger tank.

I have yet to use one ,as my reefocto keeps doing its thing .But If/when it dies or when I need more skimming power they are on the top of my list.
IDK just a thought.

also I like to add my BIP media to bags so I can move them around to clean the sump. with a huge rock pile it's going to get pretty dirty in there. will work as long as you have a plan in place for vacuuming the sump. like adding the LR to a bin of SW while to clean the sump.

IDK just some thoughts, every tank is different. on my lightly stock reef I was amazed at how much crap settled in the sump and that was with using filter floss.

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you add filter socks holders to the sump. they make HOB ones if you dont want to silicone or glue then to the sump.
then get filter cups instead of socks and just add the filter floss to that. I get the stuff at big box hobby stores meant for pillow stuffing. just make sure there is no additives and the like.

here's one style of HOB cup/sock holder:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/clif...=13272&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

here are the filter cups:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/4-fi...D=7868&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products

the idea with socks/floss is a pre filter to catch the stuff before it breaks down. its works great BUT you have to change the socks/floss to remove it from the tank or else it does not work.
the floss is a cheap way of doing it and for my reef I was changing it out 3X a week.

there are automatic filler rollers out there where you dont have to change it out as often maybe once a month. but there $$$ like this one:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reef...HMDHpHA2JD1vAq5PsiPHrq49Rt7BHX14aAqv5EALw_wcB

there are many was to filter your tank but IMHO with messy fish ones wants a robust filtration system in place.
This is all solid info. Having said that if you’re planning on big sloppy eaters filter socks are really the only way to go. And it pains me to say that because I hate filter socks lol.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

OP sorry to high jack the thread..
woundering why you went with the two pump option from jeff vrs. one? that think is a beast!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP sorry to high jack the thread..
woundering why you went with the two pump option from jeff vrs. one? that think is a beast!
The stand is only 30” high due to the tank being 36” wide it was as big as I could go to get into the house lol. So I wanted a lifereef but couldn’t fit one of the standard options so he built me a 12” diameter chamber and it required two pumps for optimal performance.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Saw those definitely an interesting option just not sure if they make them in a 7”??
I dont think so. but they might?

The stand is only 30” high due to the tank being 36” wide it was as big as I could go to get into the house lol. So I wanted a lifereef but couldn’t fit one of the standard options so he built me a 12” diameter chamber and it required two pumps for optimal performance.
ah yes I think I might of asked you this one before. ooops I am very curious to see how you like the skimmer. been wanting one for 10 years now.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back