Filtration question

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think so. but they might?

ah yes I think I might of asked you this one before. ooops I am very curious to see how you like the skimmer. been wanting one for 10 years now.
Lol all good and yeah I’m getting anxious to to get it running!

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh also look at the lifereef skimmers. some people swear by them. they last decades and you can use any pump you want + upgrade them down the road if say you end up with a larger tank.

I have yet to use one ,as my reefocto keeps doing its thing .But If/when it dies or when I need more skimming power they are on the top of my list.
IDK just a thought.

also I like to add my BIP media to bags so I can move them around to clean the sump. with a huge rock pile it's going to get pretty dirty in there. will work as long as you have a plan in place for vacuuming the sump. like adding the LR to a bin of SW while to clean the sump.

IDK just some thoughts, every tank is different. on my lightly stock reef I was amazed at how much crap settled in the sump and that was with using filter floss.
Thank for that, I'm planning on adding filter socks they definitely make sense now that I understand what their purpose is

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canister may not be adequate for a primary filter especially being a mechanical filter. You want to have mechancical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
As for skimmer, the 5000 is fine but you can even use the 3000 series. It will remove organics but not do the total job for the tank.
Assuming you have a sump, there are a couple of typical configurations below but generally filter socks, refugium and a skimmer and return pump are the ingredients

1680474475897.png
1680474560771.png

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at a Tunze 9430dc skimmer. Close in price and its as close to set and forget as they come. Thing is a beast and would work real well in a Fowler.
I see that looks really powerful, I'm working with a guy from my area who owns a reef outfitter store im going to ask him about it

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A canister may not be adequate for a primary filter especially being a mechanical filter. You want to have mechancical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The canister will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
As for skimmer, the 5000 is fine but you can even use the 3000 series. It will remove organics but not do the total job for the tank.
Assuming you have a sump, there are a couple of typical configurations below but generally filter socks, refugium and a skimmer and return pump are the ingredients

1680474475897.png
1680474560771.png
I'm going to use this design, I may include a uv sterilizer. what are your thoughts about those?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm going to use this design, I may include a uv sterilizer. what are your thoughts about those?
when run properly, UV units are an asset. When installed Before algae and protozoans show up, theyre effective in erradication

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank for that, I'm planning on adding filter socks they definitely make sense now that I understand what their purpose is
you're welcome. sounds like you have a plan now. that said don't under estimate the usefulness of ATS or fuge = using algae to soak up extra nutrients. needed NO, but helpful and pretty easy to incorporate in to your sump.

happy reefing!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back