Fin Injury or Disease: Melanurus Wrasse (Halichoeres Melanurus)

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

Question: (answers from experienced reef tank owners preferred)
Based off of the provided information and images in this post, does this Melanurus Wrasse appear to be injured or sick? If sick, with what?

Background:
About 3.5 weeks ago I purchased this Melanurus Wrasse from my LFS and left it with my friend in their QT, where it was carefully observed in isolation and without medication for 14 days without showing any signs of disease or poor health. One week ago my friend went ahead and placed the fish into his display tank, which is where it remained until 2 days ago when I brought it home and acclimated it to the water from my display tank. As soon as I was finished acclimating the fish and placed it into the display tank it dove straight into the sand bed (to be expected). Despite not showing any signs of this prior to being introduced into my tank, when the fish emerged from the sand bed one day ago, I noticed these white spots/splotches on both of its pectoral fins. When the fish emerged from the sand bed today, the fins showed no signs of improvement or deterioration. I looked all over the rest of its body and other fins today and did not notice any signs of these spots/splotches on any other part of its body. The fish was at one point going up and down on the aquarium glass but this appeared to be more of a response to seeing its reflection than an attempt to itch itself. The fish did not eat for the first two days of being in my display tank but has been happily and voraciously eating tons of frozen foods today.

Please Note:
- The Melanurus Wrasse had been in a tank at the LFS for around 7 months without showing any health issues prior to me purchasing it (I am able to trust this LFS).
- No fish have been introduced into my display tank for months and I am certain that their are no ongoing diseases effecting any of my other fish in the tank.
- My display tank and my friend's display tank are essentially twins. We set them up at the same time using all of the same stuff and manage our tanks in an identical fashion.
- We split the costs of the QT 50/50 and share it. We both us the QT in the exact same manner and following the exact same processes. The QT has no substrate and only contains PVC fittings to provide hiding spaces. After each use, we do a complete water change and leave the tank fallow for no less than 4 weeks (it had been fallow for 9 weeks prior to the Melanurus Wrasse being placed in it.
- I am also certain that my friend's display tank fish also do not have any diseases.
- My friend and I have been in the hobby for awhile with tremendous success. All of our parameters are maintained at ideal levels for a mixed reef.
- I dealt with a lot of marine fish diseases back when I first got into the hobby and have ideas of what it could be if it is a disease but I am interested in receiving the opinions of other experienced reef tank owners.

I will be attempting to take much better picture in a couple of hours and will post them to this thread as well. My apologies for the less than ideal quality of the two photos provided.

Many thanks in advance for any insight,

reefrubble

816BC9A6-08A3-4AFF-8B9B-5F4C9116AEC5.jpeg 7840F604-4FE4-408F-A47E-A64E98B00A41.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

Based off of the provided information and images in this post, does this Melanurus Wrasse appear to be injured or sick? If sick, with what?

Background:
About 3.5 weeks ago I purchased this Melanurus Wrasse from my LFS and left it with my friend in their QT, where it was carefully observed in isolation and without medication for 14 days without showing any signs of disease or poor health. One week ago my friend went ahead and placed the fish into his display tank, which is where it remained until 2 days ago when I brought it home and acclimated it to the water from my display tank. As soon as I was finished acclimating the fish and placed it into the display tank it dove straight into the sand bed (to be expected). Despite not showing any signs of this prior to being introduced into my tank, when the fish emerged from the sand bed one day ago, I noticed these white spots/splotches on both of its pectoral fins. When the fish emerged from the sand bed today, the fins showed no signs of improvement or deterioration. I looked all over the rest of its body and other fins today and did not notice any signs of these spots/splotches on any other part of its body. The fish was at one point going up and down on the aquarium glass but this appeared to be more of a response to seeing its reflection than an attempt to itch itself. The fish did not eat for the first two days of being in my display tank but has been happily and voraciously eating tons of frozen foods today.

Please Note:
- The Melanurus Wrasse had been in a tank at the LFS for around 7 months without showing any health issues prior to me purchasing it (I am able to trust this LFS).
- No fish have been introduced into my display tank for months and I am certain that their are no ongoing diseases effecting any of my other fish in the tank.
- My display tank and my friend's display tank are essentially twins. We set them up at the same time using all of the same stuff and manage our tanks in an identical fashion.
- We split the costs of the QT 50/50 and share it. We both us the QT in the exact same manner and following the exact same processes. The QT has no substrate and only contains PVC fittings to provide hiding spaces. After each use, we do a complete water change and leave the tank fallow for no less than 4 weeks (it had been fallow for 9 weeks prior to the Melanurus Wrasse being placed in it.
- I am also certain that my friend's display tank fish also do not have any diseases.
- My friend and I have been in the hobby for awhile with tremendous success. All of our parameters are maintained at ideal levels for a mixed reef.
- I dealt with a lot of marine fish diseases back when I first got into the hobby and have ideas of what it could be if it is a disease but I am interested in receiving the opinions of other experienced reef tank owners.

I will be attempting to take much better picture in a couple of hours and will post them to this thread as well. My apologies for the less than ideal quality of the two photos provided.

reefrubble

816BC9A6-08A3-4AFF-8B9B-5F4C9116AEC5.jpeg 7840F604-4FE4-408F-A47E-A64E98B00A41.jpeg
I’m struggling to see an issue. When you get more photos, can you try for sa short video as well?

There aren’t any diseases that cause just this symptom. I have seen wrasses and parrotfish damage the bases of their pectoral fins while being netted/moved, not sure if that relates or not.

Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi fellow reefers,

Background:

Please Note:

reefrubble

Blue light on a Blue fish is extremely difficult. Possible fin rot which is bacterial but dont count on this info yet. Can you retake pics under white lighting ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
reefrubble

reefrubble

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after spending the past couple of days trying as hard as I possibly could to get a picture of the fish when it was not in the sand or hiding between rocks, I have had absolutely no success. I am happy to say that although I still can't get a picture, the few times I have seen it out and roaming around, I have noticed the pectoral fins are not exhibiting the spots/splotches that they previously had on them. I am going to keep an eye on them but I feel fairly confident at this point that these were minor injuries on the fins and nothing more of greater concern.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back