Fin rot and now cloudy eyes!

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please, anyone. I'm sitting here crying.

My triggerfish has been dealing with fin rot since Friday, I started Furan-2 treatment yesterday evening because I couldn't get my hands on it, faster. When I came home from work today, I noticed his eyes are cloudy.

He's eating (just ate some krill) and acting normal.

Please - does he have any chance?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I start adding Melafix while dosing Furan-2? I'm not sure I can get any other antibiotics fast, it was difficult enough to get the Furan-2.

When the eyes are already cloudy ... how fast can it go from bad to worst? I know it says fish with bacterial infections often die within 24-48h.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I hope you don't mind me linking you?

Please, I'm really desperate.

This is the initial thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fin-rot.759996/page-3

I started Furan-2 yesterday evening (Monday 6pm) and 24h later his eyes are cloudy. There might have already been some cloudyness earlier, Jay Hemdal asked... I mistook it for the reflection of the retina, but in retrospect it probably already was some cloudyness.

I can't put him in a QT. Not an option (and please don't judge me, I'm really beating myself up as is). I'm treating in my DT which only has one other fish ... but it also has rocks and I read somewhere that could impact Furan effectiveness?

Digitalfirex

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Humblefish I hope you don't mind me linking you?

Please, I'm really desperate.

This is the initial thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fin-rot.759996/page-3

I started Furan-2 yesterday evening (Monday 6pm) and 24h later his eyes are cloudy. There might have already been some cloudyness earlier, Jay Hemdal asked... I mistook it for the reflection of the retina, but in retrospect it probably already was some cloudyness.

I can't put him in a QT. Not an option (and please don't judge me, I'm really beating myself up as is). I'm treating in my DT which only has one other fish ... but it also has rocks and I read somewhere that could impact Furan effectiveness?

Not a saltwater expert at all... but in freshwater cloudy eyes is usually a sign of crappy water. Id recommend a 50% water change. Monitor daily. What are your current ammonia levels?

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a >35% water change yesterday before starting the Furan. The issue stems from a temperature shock and fin damage when hitting rocks which then got infected due to the stress of the temp shock/lowered immune system.

The next water change is supposed to be tomorrow. 25% - should I up this to a larger one? Before continuing with the Furan as per product instructions.

Also, instead of Melafix, should I add API Erythromycin to the Furan-2 treatment? I know I can get this as I've seen it when picking up the Furan.

is it possible to get worse before getting better, despite having started treatment with antibiotics? Is it already too late for him?

No signs of ich.

Lucyintheseawithdiamonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be ich, or this other disease where they fall off the fish when you do fresh water dips. Last time I had cloudy eyes in my fish one lost an eye completely the other ones eye got permanently damaged but it still works somewhat. I did fresh water dips, and treated them with kick ich and ruby reef. And did the water changes of course. Good luck!

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hang tough,post your parameters before doc's get here ,possible few more pics other fish too ,will help them help you,they will come soon;)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a >35% water change yesterday before starting the Furan. The issue stems from a temperature shock and fin damage when hitting rocks which then got infected due to the stress of the temp shock/lowered immune system.

The next water change is supposed to be tomorrow. 25% - should I up this to a larger one? Before continuing with the Furan as per product instructions.

Also, instead of Melafix, should I add API Erythromycin to the Furan-2 treatment? I know I can get this as I've seen it when picking up the Furan.

is it possible to get worse before getting better, despite having started treatment with antibiotics? Is it already too late for him?

No signs of ich.
I would not mix antibiotics. The Furan will take 3 to 5 days to stop the infection, and probably 7 before you start to see some regrowth. Remember, choosing an antibiotic for fish is always a "best guess". If the condition is worsening at day 5, then a water change and switch to another antibiotic. Switching too soon just derails the Furan, and then the next antibiotic is going to take 3 to 5 days to ramp up.

As per the other post, what is the ammonia level in the tank? I had originally presumed the trigger was in an older, established tank, but with the meds being used, you need to start testing ammonia every day.

Again, as long as the fish is feeding well, I wouldn't be worried.

Jay

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Furan will take 3 to 5 days to stop the infection, and probably 7 before you start to see some regrowth.

Does this include the eyes? Will they hopefully clear up? Not sure how "regrowth" applies to cloudy eyes.

As per the other post, what is the ammonia level in the tank? I had originally presumed the trigger was in an older, established tank, but with the meds being used, you need to start testing ammonia every day.

It is a 2+ years old tank.

Ammonia as of right now, 38h after starting Furan (re-dosed 14h ago; 25% WC will be this evening - should I do 35%?):

IMG_7887.jpg

If it spikes, can I safely add Ammonia reducer? Or will it interact with the Furan, somehow?

Again, as long as the fish is feeding well, I wouldn't be worried.

Eagerly ate his breakfast just now.

I'm really sorry I'm freaking out so much. Please do bear with me. This is my first fish emergency and I kept reading all those reports where people lost fish, including triggers, to fin rot and one reported the fish developed cloudy eyes (after having fin rot for a while) and dying within 48h. I have no gauge/experience with any illness symptoms, so really don't know what already qualifies as "emergency". Never had cloudy eyes nor fin rot before.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello this may not be super helpful but Anytime I am dealing with a fish parasite that can be managed I soak food in seachem vitality. It probably won’t reverse things at this stage but it does help all fish fight off infections in the early stages, or before it begins.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello this may not be super helpful but Anytime I am dealing with a fish parasite that can be managed I soak food in seachem vitality. It probably won’t reverse things at this stage but it does help all fish fight off infections in the early stages, or before it begins.

I've done this in the past but stopped when I ran out and because they were healthy and thriving.

Will definitely restart, just need to get new one first. Also will probably not soak the food and just put it in the tank, since they're getting frozen cubes.

I asked before but it may have been missed. Can I safely add vitamins while treating with Furan?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done this in the past but stopped when I ran out and because they were healthy and thriving.

Will definitely restart, just need to get new one first. Also will probably not soak the food and just put it in the tank, since they're getting frozen cubes.

I asked before but it may have been missed. Can I safely add vitamins while treating with Furan?
I have never used Furan so I can’t answer this from experience, however I have never heard of vitamins reacting with anything in a negative way when used correctly.
Most frozen foods contain vitamins as well so I’d check the ingredients on your food and that may have the answer! Hope this helps

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the article I keep referring to.

The fish had fin rot for a while, but suddenly developed cloudy eyes (and other symptoms) after a stressful event and were dead within 48h.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most frozen foods contain vitamins as well so I’d check the ingredients on your food and that may have the answer! Hope this helps

I just checked mine. I keep feeding San Francisco Bay Carnivore Cuisine or Saltwater Multipack. I just checked and there are vitamins listed on the ingredients list.

Last edited:

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool then you should be fine mixing the two! Happy reefing, I hope the best for your trigger, they have such great personality when they aren’t killing snails!

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be my paranoia kicking in, but I do think he's gotten slimmer.

He's eating though. Could he be slimming despite eating?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might just be my paranoia kicking in, but I do think he's gotten slimmer.

He's eating though. Could he be slimming despite eating?
Definitely. Anytime I am feeding to boost immune I altar my feeding schedule quite a bit. During this period I would feed 2 or even 3 times a day, monitor nitrates, keep prime on hand, remain diligent about it and also be sure to turn the power heads off for a few minutes while you feed, helps the food get eaten instead of ending up in floss.

OP
OP
S

siniang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! Will increase feeding. Have Prime at hand. Can I safely dose this whenever I see a spike despite the Furan? Could I dose some just as a precaution?

---

I'm still trying to understand the cloudy eyes. His fin rot I understand because there was damage to the fins and those wounds got infected. But where do the cloudy eyes come from? Do they indicate advanced state infection?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back