OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks... he is a beauty.. So far have not been able to get him into the fish trap.. he is very shy still after all these years.. not eating still. infection spread a little but he is swimming closer to the bottom of the tank now..

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks... he is a beauty.. So far have not been able to get him into the fish trap.. he is very shy still after all these years.. not eating still. infection spread a little but he is swimming closer to the bottom of the tank now..
:( still hoping

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well quick update.. not sure if he is getting better or just holding his own.. he seems to be swimming more and is moving about the aquarium more. He still is not eating but will see what today brings.. I was not able to catch him and ripping up the tank and more was not an option to catch him.. He was not eating so the trap was out of the question. I did treat the tank with the chemiclean for cyno which I always had an opinion that it had some type of antibiotic in it. however reading the package it states it does NOT contain erythromycin. Anyways.. fingers crossed.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went down a rabbit hole trying to find out if Chemiclean contains an Erythromycin or not. @Brew12 did you ever get confirmation on that?

Sometimes, bacterial infections just go away on their own - in fact, "time" works as well as many of the "drugs" we use to treat bacterial infections. However, the fish still not eating is a major concern.

Jay

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I went down a rabbit hole trying to find out if Chemiclean contains an Erythromycin or not. @Brew12 did you ever get confirmation on that?

Sometimes, bacterial infections just go away on their own - in fact, "time" works as well as many of the "drugs" we use to treat bacterial infections. However, the fish still not eating is a major concern.

Jay
Jay this one looks really bad though :( his bones are showing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay this one looks really bad though :( his bones are showing
Yes - those are bare dorsal spines. They connect to the fish's skeleton just a bit deeper down. If the infection gets that far, the fish won't survive - even with antibiotics.

Jay

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning.. I have been down that rabbit hole myself. Years ago there was no label saying NO Erythromycin then the internet talk and more about it having such I believe led to the labeling stating its not in there... who knows... I will post some pics in a day or so.. thanks for the info and support all

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it get that bad on my clarion years ago.. really depressing long story .. but in the end on the clarion it healed but was left with out a full dorsal fin.. like an amputee fish....

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it get that bad on my clarion years ago.. really depressing long story .. but in the end on the clarion it healed but was left with out a full dorsal fin.. like an amputee fish....
It’s so sad to see the potters like this, I’m really sorry

OP
OP
chicago

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad day.. was not able to get him out of tank with tear down and stressing.. Lost this huge potters yesterday.. infection never got better and algae started actually to grow on his exposed dorsal fins...while spine of the fin. Very strange event.. and not quite sure what occurred. With issues of Hawaii i expect it will be a while before I can find another one of these great angles.. final interesting fact.. his body even without really eating for weeks never got skinny .... he was always so fat.... not sure but I think some type of internal issue for all these years.. I was going to take the scalpel to him.. but in the end did not....

jaganshi066

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sad day.. was not able to get him out of tank with tear down and stressing.. Lost this huge potters yesterday.. infection never got better and algae started actually to grow on his exposed dorsal fins...while spine of the fin. Very strange event.. and not quite sure what occurred. With issues of Hawaii i expect it will be a while before I can find another one of these great angles.. final interesting fact.. his body even without really eating for weeks never got skinny .... he was always so fat.... not sure but I think some type of internal issue for all these years.. I was going to take the scalpel to him.. but in the end did not....
I’m really sorry, he was beautiful

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back