Fin rot frozen food concoction

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy,

I can't remove my fish from main tank but was wondering can you feed food soaked in metro / focus / kanaflex safely to an established reef?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble with doing that is you can’t control the dose, so you don’t know if you have enough meds, or too much. Take a look at the medicated food article I posted here ... search “hemdal medicated food” - I think it is about the 15 article down on the list.
Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you open the link, there is a second link to the PDF file on the right hand side of the intro page....
Jay

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the thought about over or under dosing - I just want to make sure it's reef safe and I won't kill anything like inverts corals

OP
OP
Hallowhead

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine.
Thanks I understand that the gelatin method might be the best but I can't buy a kilogram of food as well It would just be too much food and it would all go to waste. I have used the frozen food method before and it actually worked well but I'm adding canaflex now for fin rot which I've never used before That's why I'm asking

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I understand that the gelatin method might be the best but I can't buy a kilogram of food as well It would just be too much food and it would all go to waste. I have used the frozen food method before and it actually worked well but I'm adding canaflex now for fin rot which I've never used before That's why I'm asking

Kanaplex with focus is reef safe. Not sure about using gelatin instead of focus though.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found !

I don't have access to create this gelatin

Would mixing the 3 medicines with a cube of frozen food per humblefish he okay?
I mean, that's the whole issue - the dose he suggests has no ability to be controlled - you don't know the amount of food being fed, nor the dose of the medication, or how much of the medication gets rinsed off when you put it in the tank same purpose as the Focus?
The chance of either over or under dosing is almost assuredly going to happen. I understand the instruction in my article are complicated, but that's because it is a very complicated issue.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay, doesn't the gelatin serve the same purpose as the Focus?
Same purpose, but gelatin binds a bit better I think. The trouble with the Focus recipe is they say"5:1". That can't work unless you know the exact milligrams of medication in the food you are feeding and then, know how much your fish weigh. All oral antibiotics are dosed at mg of meds per kg of fish weight per day. Focus indeed gets medication into food, but all of the other variables are unknown.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 75 78.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • Other

Votes: 9 9.4%
Back