Fin rot? Help with treatment please

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a swallowtail angel and a pyramid butterfly out of the same system and theyre now in my qt tank. They weren't 100% healthy to begin with but were eating and acting fine. Since i rarely see this guys come up for sale locally so i wanted to pick them up knowing id have some treatment ahead of me. The angel had some fin rot and the pyramid buttefly was showing signs of flukes and had popeye. My first plan of attack was prazipro, after 3 days of treatment the butterfly looks much better to the point i feel he'll make a full recovery, but the angels fin rot has gotten worse and he stopped eating. He now appears to have lympho as well. They will be going through copper but i wanted to see what i should treat with to help with the fin rot first. I have flucanzole and maracyn on hand but can pick up whatever else may be needed.

20220526_203120.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a swallowtail angel and a pyramid butterfly out of the same system and theyre now in my qt tank. They weren't 100% healthy to begin with but were eating and acting fine. Since i rarely see this guys come up for sale locally so i wanted to pick them up knowing id have some treatment ahead of me. The angel had some fin rot and the pyramid buttefly was showing signs of flukes and had popeye. My first plan of attack was prazipro, after 3 days of treatment the butterfly looks much better to the point i feel he'll make a full recovery, but the angels fin rot has gotten worse and he stopped eating. He now appears to have lympho as well. They will be going through copper but i wanted to see what i should treat with to help with the fin rot first. I have flucanzole and maracyn on hand but can pick up whatever else may be needed.

20220526_203120.jpg
Pyramids often arrive with Neobenedenia flukes.

The base of the angel’s pectoral fin is bothersome - it looks like the base of the fin is infected. Fin rot normally works on fin edges, not like this. The fish not eating makes me think the infection is systemic….and that is difficult to resolve. I can’t tell you if this is bacterial or fungal.
The standard response would be to treat with a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex, but m not confident that will fix it.
Jay

OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The base of the angel’s pectoral fin is bothersome - it looks like the base of the fin is infected. Fin rot normally works on fin edges, not like this. The fish not eating makes me think the infection is systemic….and that is difficult to resolve. I can’t tell you if this is bacterial or fungal.
The standard response would be to treat with a broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic like Neoplex, but m not confident that will fix it.
Jay
Yeah this is my second time dealing with pyramids with flukes so that i wasnt too worried about. So for the angel is the best course of action neoplex and keeping the water clean? Im about to do a water change now, and even if the neoplex has a chance sounds like its better than nothing. Thank you!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheDragonsReef

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Hey jay quick question, do you know if i can run the skimmer while treating neoplex? It says remove ozone, chemical filtration and uv but nothing about protein skimming.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey jay quick question, do you know if i can run the skimmer while treating neoplex? It says remove ozone, chemical filtration and uv but nothing about protein skimming.

I would run the skimmer, but don't collect any skimmate, that is always safe to do and keeps the oxygenation levels up.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 50.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.3%
Back