Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal
I do not see 'fin rot' per se? When I have seen aggression - its often not constant - and if unless you're watching closely 24/7, it can be easy to miss
Fin Rot being the closest description I've got in my arsenal. Besides the tail, the lower body fins are also fraying.

It definitely had something going on, kana cleared it well up, I watched the tail regrow day by day.

I'm not saying it ISN'T aggression, but the problem going away immediately after treatment, then coming back makes me wonder.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fin Rot being the closest description I've got in my arsenal. Besides the tail, the lower body fins are also fraying.

It definitely had something going on, kana cleared it well up, I watched the tail regrow day by day.

I'm not saying it ISN'T aggression, but the problem going away immediately after treatment, then coming back makes me wonder.
You can try the trick of setting up your phone to video the tank when you leave the room. You might catch a culprit that way. Still, a bite only takes a split second and there are lots of seconds in a day!
Did the fin notch grow gradually or did it show up overnight?
Jay

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the trick of setting up your phone to video the tank when you leave the room. You might catch a culprit that way. Still, a bite only takes a split second and there are lots of seconds in a day!
Did the fin notch grow gradually or did it show up overnight?
Jay
Unfortunately I can't answer that. I was out most of the weekend and just noticed the fin today. The last time I know it was not notched was last week.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Yes - thats why I tagged Jay to comment. Fin rot also (in my experience) does not go away immediately after treatment. - I meant to mention - is it possible its related to an ammonia spike?

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - thats why I tagged Jay to comment. Fin rot also (in my experience) does not go away immediately after treatment. - I meant to mention - is it possible its related to an ammonia spike?
would a fin regrowing over a course of call it 3 weeks be considered immediate?

It would be extremely unlikely to have been ammonia, there's nothing in there to die, ammonia badge always white, no other fish display any other symptoms.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a fin regrowing over a course of call it 3 weeks be considered immediate?

It would be extremely unlikely to have been ammonia, there's nothing in there to die, ammonia badge always white, no other fish display any other symptoms.
It could be both issues - tankmate aggression, followed by a bacterial infection that eats away at more of the fin tissue. Fin rot, as a disease, is almost never a primary disease, there is always some physical issue that gets it starts - a bite, tail abrasion, etc.

Jay

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be both issues - tankmate aggression, followed by a bacterial infection that eats away at more of the fin tissue. Fin rot, as a disease, is almost never a primary disease, there is always some physical issue that gets it starts - a bite, tail abrasion, etc.

Jay
Thanks Jay. All these fish will be back in the dt within 10 days. What action would you advise I take for this guy?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay. All these fish will be back in the dt within 10 days. What action would you advise I take for this guy?
If possible a broad spectrum, gram negative antibiotic will help reduce the issue of infection. This should be done in a treatment tank though. If it was minor damage, I’d just say let it heal on its own, but there is a good chunk missing. If the hypural bone gets infected, the fin section may not grow back.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 120 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back