Fin rot, nipping, ammonia burn or brook?

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I am new to the saltwater fish hobby and have a couple of clowns in qt. I was going to treat the tank this morning for fin rot as this little guy has a piece of his tail missing. He was fw dipped at arrival and then placed into a GC treatment with GC+focus in the food. We are 5 days in and this morning I was going to add in Kanaplex just in case this was fin rot and not nipping (he came from the LPS this way). However, I noticed he is now missing a piece on his pelvic fin. Is this still nipping or something else. Had an ammonia spike into the light green on the badge about 3 days ago. It has been yellow since and have been running Prime. There is a stone in the tank and the tank has cycled. Appetite is really good.

Thanks

20201202_110812.jpg 20201202_110910.jpg

TangGang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like fin nipping than fin rot or brook. If you just got these two clowns, then they might be challenging for dominance. To ensure that it is fin nipping, remove either one and put it in a different qt tank and over the next couple of days, the fins on the damaged fish will heal if it was indeed from nipping. If it doesn't heal like that soon, then we need to change the diagnosis.

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like fin nipping than fin rot or brook. If you just got these two clowns, then they might be challenging for dominance. To ensure that it is fin nipping, remove either one and put it in a different qt tank and over the next couple of days, the fins on the damaged fish will heal if it was indeed from nipping. If it doesn't heal like that soon, then we need to change the diagnosis.
Thanks. The tail was that way when we got him 5 days ago. It hasn't changed (better or worse), which is why I wasn't sure it was a nip from the LFS. Our Betta was nipped once and I know within a few days, we could see the healing.

OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Looked today after 48 hour of Kanaplex and there is another piece missing from the pelvic fin. He was in therapeutic copper levels at the LFS for at least 7 days. We have done GC in the food and GC in the water and now the Kanaplex in the water. Is this still nipping?

Attachments

• 20201204_075823.jpg
    20201204_075823.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 41
OP
OP
L

Llg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the fin continues to look worse. The white spot is not on the fish. It is in my glass.I have been dosing Kanaplex every other day for 4 days and feeding GC for a week. I removed the other fish as well. What more can I do? The tail hasn't changed, just the pelvic fin. Ammonia levels have been fine in the QT. I am going to clean the tank today, but just unsure what to try next. I have Ich-X, Met, GC, erythromycin, Kanaplex and Copper Safe on hand.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201205_092130.jpg
    20201205_092130.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 51
Back