Fin Rot?

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newly added wrasse to DT is showing sings of loss of back fin. He has been chased by my female clown, but appears to be calming down.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1466362059.520756.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not seeing anything wrong with him... got a better picture showing what your seeing?

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can see some missing tail on his back fin. But you have to zoom in. Dude moves so fast.

dwebb1031

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience fun rot looks to have some whiteness around the rotted area. This looks more to me like some one is nipping. My female black occ had fun rot I had to qt her for a month now she looks great but is still missing the area that rotted.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear that the clown that was chasing him took a few bites out of the tail. Just keep an eye on it and watch for infection. You can feed vitamins in the food to help boost the immune system and ward off any future infection and help it heal up faster. Things like Vita-chem and Selcon are good to add to the food.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. That was my thought, but wanted to be sure as the bullying seemed to be calming down. But I noticed the back fin getting a bit worse yesterday. This clown is getting very territorial now that she is more interested in the anemone.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. That was my thought, but wanted to be sure as the bullying seemed to be calming down. But I noticed the back fin getting a bit worse yesterday. This clown is getting very territorial now that she is more interested in the anemone.

What kind of clown?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, thumping them on the nose doesn't do anything but tick them off more. lol My "sissy clown" bites the heck out of me every other day or so.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just so you know, thumping them on the nose doesn't do anything but tick them off more. lol My "sissy clown" bites the heck out of me every other day or so.

I'm used to dealing with maroons that like to draw blood. :mad: My wife likes red clowns for some reason.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm used to dealing with maroons that like to draw blood. :mad: My wife likes red clowns for some reason.

I've had maroons draw blood. I've also seen Regular Occ. clowns draw blood, but they are usually fully grown females with a nem. Mine doesn't have a nem, but she's still meaner than spit.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is learning. Think he got in a scrape with my Tomini tang today. Had a mark on his side. He just won't respect their territory. But I did notice him charge back at them this weekend.

ITreeferVA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My luboki wrasse has the same thing, I believe my flame hawk showed him whose boss

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is learning. Think he got in a scrape with my Tomini tang today. Had a mark on his side. He just won't respect their territory. But I did notice him charge back at them this weekend.

Yeah, wrasses don't really respect territory. They like to cruise all over the tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Yellow Flanked Wrasse who everyone beat the crud out of for some reason. Poor thing lost an eye before the beatings stopped. Even one of my blennies wanted a piece of him. :p

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 34.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back