Fin rot?

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have quarantined this chalk bass for 3 weeks and treated it with Cupramine and Prazipro. It's been on the main tank for a week and today it shows signs of what I think is fin rot. Question: is this really fin rot? If so, is it ok if I use and antibiotic like Maracyn Two in the main tank (I have corals, snails and crabs)? Otherwise, what are my options?

IMG_1854.jpg IMG_1858.jpg

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mild infections, the only thing that I would consider "reef safe" is Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antibiotic and antiseptic qualities.
Other option is to pull the fish out and give it a 30 minute bath in antibiotics and then return to the tank. Ciprofloxacin is my preferred weapon of choice for bath treatments.

OP
OP
Europa

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For mild infections, the only thing that I would consider "reef safe" is Ruby Reef Rally. It has both antibiotic and antiseptic qualities.
Other option is to pull the fish out and give it a 30 minute bath in antibiotics and then return to the tank. Ciprofloxacin is my preferred weapon of choice for bath treatments.
I'm having a hard time pulling the fish out of the tank. Have you used Ruby Reef Rally without damage to corals and snails?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time pulling the fish out of the tank. Have you used Ruby Reef Rally without damage to corals and snails?
Yes, have not had an issue with using RRR in a reef tank. Some corals may act "annoyed" but that was about it. But of course you mileage could vary.
It's a good product. Just remember though, it's for "mild infections" and as with most fish meds they act slowly on fish. 10-14 days or so to usually see results. Baths are much more efficient and the fish respond, usually, quicker.

OP
OP
Europa

Europa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I couldn't remove the fish out of the main tank (it was hiding and so many rocks) and it simply disappeared. I wonder if anyone has any clues about what happened to it. I imagined if it died I would at least see it floating or so. Could it have been eaten by the flower anemone or a hermit crab???

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back