Fin rot

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I don’t want to jump the gun and think it is something it isn’t...however, I just noticed my yellow tang has some of his top fin missing. He looks healthy, eats like a pig and doesn’t have white around the eyes nor shows signs of distress or illness. My only concern is there isn’t any fish in the tank that I notice nip at him. He is the alpha of the tank.

With that being said, does this look like the beginning of fin rot? I hope not I just am stumped being other fish don’t seem to mess with him.
68CAEA92-5823-42BC-8D7D-1A17B354C1FE.jpeg
07A990D2-1B69-4447-9C08-AF4C30590701.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To me that does not look like 'fin rot' - but instead aggression from another fish. I would observe. What other fish do you have. It only takes one nip to do it. I would watch for bloody streaks or other evidence of problems - my tang had a couple of these - after being nipped by another fish - and both recovered. Make sure you're feeding well

OP
OP
KyOsIBa515

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me that does not look like 'fin rot' - but instead aggression from another fish. I would observe. What other fish do you have. It only takes one nip to do it. I would watch for bloody streaks or other evidence of problems - my tang had a couple of these - after being nipped by another fish - and both recovered. Make sure you're feeding well
Ok, thanks. The only fish I can think of that maybe nip is my male lyretail anthias. I have never personally observed it but they can get territorial. I have the male and 3 females.

I feed frozen mysis, brine both with spurilina. I soak it in vitamins and also leave nori on a clip twice a week.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, thanks. The only fish I can think of that maybe nip is my male lyretail anthias. I have never personally observed it but they can get territorial. I have the male and 3 females.

I feed frozen mysis, brine both with spurilina. I soak it in vitamins and also leave nori on a clip twice a week.
I wonder about the chromic

OP
OP
KyOsIBa515

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder about the chromic
From my experience the Chromis usually are pretty docile towards other species of fish...usually any aggression they turn to one another. They can be weird and single one another out and end up killing the fish. I have seen that.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That is aggression and not bacterial fin rot and prime suspect is either clown or Chromis.
How can you be sure ? Using your cell phone, set it on video mode and place in front of tank. let it run for about 45 mins and walk away (fish know when youre there and on their best behavior so walk away)
Come back and review the video. You will know who the aggressor is (will hover around, chase or nip at the tang)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From my experience the Chromis usually are pretty docile towards other species of fish...usually any aggression they turn to one another. They can be weird and single one another out and end up killing the fish. I have seen that.
I have found Chromis at times to be monsters. Every individual fish has their own attitude and personality

OP
OP
KyOsIBa515

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found Chromis at times to be monsters. Every individual fish has their own attitude and personality
This is true. I have a pair of black snowflake clown in the tank. They have always been peaceful towards the other fish but as soon as I put my hand in the tank for maintenance they turn into jaws.

Clowns were bred by the devil.

I have had many Chromis over the years and they have always been docile towards others but I have seen them turn on each other.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is true. I have a pair of black snowflake clown in the tank. They have always been peaceful towards the other fish but as soon as I put my hand in the tank for maintenance they turn into jaws.

Clowns were bred by the devil.

I have had many Chromis over the years and they have always been docile towards others but I have seen them turn on each other.
clown bite.png

Back