Final phase of Cycle in new tank?

Northlandboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I have a 75 gal with sump. Lots of macro in sump and some in main display.

Tank is 120 days old. Went through the high ammonia phase, went through the high nitrates phase, the Dino bloom, then into the bright green algae phase. I feel like I should start to see the bright green about to die down here soon, as it's been a few weeks now. I am starting to see brown re-emerge on some parts. Just curious if that's normal.

Fish are all very happy. Bubble tip anemones very happy.

Zero ammonia
Zero nitrites
Good skimmer making pulling lots of organics out.
Ph 8.3-8.4
Phosphates around .5 ppm
Nitrates around 10 ppm
Salt at 1.024

Anything look amiss to anyone?
Or are things basically on track?

I have been changing 10 gallons (about 10% with sump included) weekly, using ROI water and reef crystals salt.

Appreciate any input!

20220812_104415.jpg 20220812_104700.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you think the green algae goes away after a few weeks? :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Seeing those new white rocks, you've got a few months to go before you see the end. Unfortunately you're only just starting.

phosphates are very high (unless you meant .05), but I bet you used API test kit? Phosphates feed green algae, so you will need to become a phosphate master and try to keep phosphate below .1

There are many threads on how to fight it, I suggest to start reading up on it. If you dont actively fight it, green algae can take over the tank.

Raysup88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go bigger water changes like 25% weekly until it dies down and get that phosphate down

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t increase water changes as they will have little affect on the po4, I would limit lightning to the bare minimum for the corals, check PO4 lvls daily with a Hanna checker (the only reliable test for po4 imo) and reduce po4 with rowaphos if it’s above 0.03 you really need to check daily because as you lower po4, more is going to be released from the rocks and sand, you also need to change your rowaphos often, once you see the po4 lvl going up, change the rowaphos, it could mean changing every 1-2 days at the start, what ever you do don’t let the po4 get to zero tho.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no algae expert but it's growing on top of all your rocks which looks like it's feeding from your lighting, if possible maybe turn down lighting if it does not affect light sensitive corals.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back