Finally added fish and coral after 7 months- Parameter checking and coral identification

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!!

I'm new here, very excited to be in the hobby! I have been cycling my 75 gallon tank for the past 7 months, slowly adding in just some clean up crew. Last weekend I finally added my first pair of clownfish and a goby. Yesterday I added my first coral!
I would love some feedback on some of the parameters I checked this morning and possibly help identifying my new first coral (I honestly can't remember if it's a goni or a duncan).
I should also add that I added a protein skimmer 2 days ago (that all seems to be going great so far!)
I just tested my water parameters again this morning. Everything looks good so far, tiny spike in ammonia which I would assume is related to adding the clown fish and corals. No nitrite, pH has remained stable around 8ish. Alkalinity is a little high I think? 10.9dkh. And nitrate was way too high, like 20ppm (do you recommend a water change today? Or would that be stressful for the new coral?)
Also do we think this coral is a goni or duncan?

Thank in advance for the help guys!
IMG_2116_epmumy.jpg
IMG_2112_kjvtr4.jpg
IMG_2109_wkf2ou.jpg

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cycled my aquriam for around same amount of time to build up pod population (8 months empty) As I wanted mandarin :)

So now this is the best part in your aquarium life as you can start adding life :)

I think a little early to add a cuc as really not much for them to eat however you can provide food for them, algae wafers or crab cuisine.
What cuc did you add?

In regards to parameters, I would assume it's fully cycled so anything that's seems out of balance, a 25% water change or less would not hurt anything and will help you stay in control.

It looks great so I'm following :)

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the replies :) and information!
Right now I have hermit crabs and snails. Blue legged hermits mainly. About 5 hermits and 4 snails. They’ve been in there for more than a few months now, when the fish weren’t present I was feeding them formula one pellets, not to many but wanted to help stimulate the cycling.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can easily overfeed. If your coral is photosynthetic it will grow with just lighting alone without the need for food, reef roids is also what I use to feed my coral and I have had no problems so far, I use it around once a month

I'll check out formula one pellets for my hermits

Attachments

• IMG20230115182425.jpg
    IMG20230115182425.jpg
    209.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG20230115182419.jpg
    IMG20230115182419.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 13

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back