Status
Not open for further replies.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria live on the surface of things like whatever sponge is in the tank (also the tank walls themselves). Water change won’t hurt

joey123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is great...I recently took a hiatus from the hobby, and in getting a waterbox 220.6 set up for myself as my dream tank build! Great to see someone in a similar situation!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question is... Are we done with cycle? Should we continue to bring ammonia up to 2ppm every time it goes down to 0ppm until we add fish to help keep the tank going? Or should we just leave as is.

Given you have rock in the tank and the ammonia is going down to zero fairly quickly, you should be OK now.

Second question is... We have a Petsmart TopFin 10g tank for our QT. It doesn't have a skimmer on it and we removed the filtration that it did have. Can I add a little bag of carbon in it's place instead?

Yes you can, but I'd rather have the filter than carbon in the system (I assume it's in a HOB filter)? Carbon is mostly to make the water clear, the filter removes particulate matter.

Third question is... Is there anything else we need to add to the tank to make sure that we can have fish?

Be prepared to do a water change at some point and keep a watch on the Nitrate level. Do you have a sump & skimmer? Even better, do you have a refugium? The macro algae in a refugium will help keep nitrates down, possibly even at zero which makes the need for water changes less frequent.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, is that you in your avatar?

Scuba diver , snorkeler or both?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool. We're going to the British Virgin Islands this summer. I hope to do Fiji the next year and the Maldives the year after that. Then if I still can I'd like to get to Australia & the South Pacific or the Galapagos Islands after that.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Esther. You can go ahead and add fish to your qt. I would do a 2 gallon water change and go for it. I would get some filter floss for the filter. Some carbon won’t hurt, but not necessary. If you decide to medicate the fish remove the carbon. Put you ammonia badge back in the qt. Make sure you inspect the fish for signs of disease daily. Your new build is going to be sweet.

Stoneys'Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is on the truck!! It's finally gonna be here. Holy crap, this was a long 3 months! Updates will be slowly coming in throughout the next week. :)
We are waiting on the same tank . 3 months huh ? Ouch but atleast ur wait is almost over ! I cannot wait to see how it turns out for you . The tanks look amazing in pictures and on Youtube . Should be great !

Stoneys'Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a sneak preview... Holy cow, this tank is HEAVY! I have a lot of thoughts about the tank and setting up the stand, how it is dealing with @Waterbox Aquariums, etc. that I will be posting in detail as well! Stay tuned.

Lookin slick ! The white looks so nice ! I really like the cabinet too. We just bought the whole apex system so we will need something like that probably also . I can't wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back