Finally bought a Peacock Mantis Shrimp!

gold_gla55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a couple months now I have had my redsea max 130d cycled and ready for its new buddy.

Last night I finally found one that was available online and jumped on the purchase and he will be here tomorrow morning!!! I'm super excited and I will keep this project up to date with pictures starting with the tank when I get home.

I have a pretty nice little home for him so far with some live rock (still needs some decorating with some algae and what not) with about a 3-4 inch sand bed and a buried 3 inch pvc pipe under some rock for his lair :D

I currently have 3 pieces of coral in the tank, frogspawn, zoa frag and acan frag. Two of which are epoxied down so I'm quite intrigued to see if he his going to try and move them lol.

Still need to get a couple more pieces of shells and livestock to put in there though!! Thinking 2 chromis, at worse case he gets a $10 meal (kind of bad to say that lol), but I have seen people keep reefs, starfish and even clowns with their mantis.

Well here goes nothing! :)

SloppyJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I emailed my wife a mantis shrimp fact sheet and she showed her highschool biology class. They all want a mantis as a class pet now. I think I might have to set a tank up for them.

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm following along. I'm too chicken to get one, so I'll live vicariously through you...lol

Bartmmackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be a jerk or flame on this...swear it.
Have you watched the mantis shrimp special, if not i suggest it. Their strike is the fastest and strongest in the animal planet. The snap you hear is them breaking the sound barrier, even the scientist (like folks with life spent studding only the mantis shrimp...like phd with sprinkles on top). They don't even put hands in tank.... They say the strike is like a bee sting and you will never see it commingl...he will live a solitary life.

KSzegi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats!! Post pics when you get him! I have a couple of wrennae that came in as hitchikers with my Gulf rock and they are cool critters!

OP
OP
gold_gla55

gold_gla55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm expecting him in under 10 hours...I will post pictures as soon as I get him. Still up in the air on naming him (cheesy yes I know this, but how can you not name something so awesome lol) My buddy has one in a 10 gallon and ever since then I have had a deep desire to own one! Pretty interesting creatures and I think its too funny that they decorate their home. Done a bunch of research so I am not too worried about having one. So expect pics by noon today :D

OP
OP
gold_gla55

gold_gla55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys here he is!!

Got here around 930am. I was actually pretty nervous in the hopes that he would still be alive simply being this was the first time I have bought anything live offline lol.

Gorgeous colors which I am super happy about :) Call me crazy, but I had to touch him so I muscled up the courage and surprisingly he didn't freak out and let me pet him. lol
IMG_20130517_095130_092.jpg

IMG_20130517_095444_898.jpg

IMG_20130517_095848_394.jpg

I dont know why my tank pictures are so bright, but here is his little set up so far. :)
IMG_20130517_104610_553.jpg
IMG_20130517_104637_433.jpg

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so tight, the mantis shrimp is a formidable opponent and pretty fast in the open ocean when scared. ****** creature.

Imsosavvy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to be a jerk or flame on this...swear it.
Have you watched the mantis shrimp special, if not i suggest it. Their strike is the fastest and strongest in the animal planet. The snap you hear is them breaking the sound barrier, even the scientist (like folks with life spent studding only the mantis shrimp...like phd with sprinkles on top). They don't even put hands in tank.... They say the strike is like a bee sting and you will never see it commingl...he will live a solitary life.

And everything said here is absolutely correct, not only does their snap break the sound barrier but it literally boils the water around it instantly. He will definitely live alone, besides maybe a Zebra turbo snail(not a Mexican one) and some fish. This guy will destroy any other crustacean you can think of. I do believe there is one type of shrimp(true shrimp) that can survive with it but I forgt which. These are mean, lol.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome mantis you have! Best of luck with it and keep us updated.

Did you determine if it's male or female?

Bartmmackey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And everything said here is absolutely correct, not only does their snap break the sound barrier but it literally boils the water around it instantly. He will definitely live alone, besides maybe a Zebra turbo snail(not a Mexican one) and some fish. This guy will destroy any other crustacean you can think of. I do believe there is one type of shrimp(true shrimp) that can survive with it but I forgt which. These are mean, lol.

I hope tank never gets Dino's or hair algea ..lol

OP
OP
gold_gla55

gold_gla55

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have no idea how to determine the sex. If you know how I would love to hear. Already fed the little guy a silverside and he was on it like a fat kid on a candy bar lol.

I am going to have to come up with something different with the pvc pipe though sadly :/ I'm thinking its just a little too big. Of course though he prefers the one spot in the tank I didn't want him to end up at lol.

IMG_20130517_131353_283.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back