Finally building out my dream reef - RSR 3XL 900

OP
R

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Oh yeah, also ordered the Mini Bubble King 180 and happily received my package last Friday. Opened the box, started install and realized they sent me the Double Cone 180 which is rated way lower (120 gal max). So I had to return that. Waiting on them to ship the correct skimmer.

Zoanthids

Jeffcb

Tang Tang
View Badges
Reaction score
IMG_4302.jpg

The rock construction is done. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I'm going to do a low structure in the middle (probably), for some zoas or anemones. But for now, just letting the cycle go while I figure out a bracket for lights.

I did add microbacter starter and fishless cycle ammonia 2 weeks ago. Now I'm just phantom feeding and considering the first round of fish. I have a lot of cable management to do.

The apex has been a nightmare. The salt probe won't calibrate and apex wants me to pay for them to assess the problem, on a brand new out of the box first time use probe. So I'll suck up the ~$2000 loss and go back to GHL.

Still trying to figure out a filter roller. I've seen a couple people that have managed to fit them, but none of the ways I've seen work for me. Deltec VF6000 is current #1 contender, but still weighing options and thinking it through.
Tank is looking good!

I also had a problem calibrating my apex salt probe. I did open a ticket with apex and they helped me. Finally got it to work by moving it to the refugium away from any water flow, air bubbles or conductivity from pumps and heater. I run my tank right at 35 ppm so the tech suggested just calibrating it in the tank water. I really don't trust it but it works and I guess would alarm me if there was a drastic salt drop....

NatureHold

View Badges
Reaction score
You will drive yourself mad trying to keep all of the Apex Probes/Trident calibrated. I chased calibration numbers with it for a few months before giving up. The closest I could every get salinity was with .5PPT, PH was +/- .3, ALK always floats around +/- .3 of what my Hanna checker shows. I have no way of checking ORP, so who knows on that one... I only use the apex stuff to monitor parameter trends and control equipment.

OP
R

Richmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Tank is looking good!

I also had a problem calibrating my apex salt probe. I did open a ticket with apex and they helped me. Finally got it to work by moving it to the refugium away from any water flow, air bubbles or conductivity from pumps and heater. I run my tank right at 35 ppm so the tech suggested just calibrating it in the tank water. I really don't trust it but it works and I guess would alarm me if there was a drastic salt drop....
My salt probe just won't calibrate, at all. unplugged, plugged and dry, or plugged and wet it shows the same numbers. It's just a bad probe, and they want to charge me to ship to them to check it - rather than replacing it? Horrible.

Have you ever had a reef tank with no sump and how did it go?

• YES and it was just fine

Votes: 233 59.1%
  • YES but it was difficult

Votes: 73 18.5%
  • NO

Votes: 78 19.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 10 2.5%
https://www.triton.de/en/