Finally found the source of contamination that killed many coral.

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had issues with tin and other contaminants in my tank. I have lost many coral earlier this year. After checking multiple parameters, I came to the conclusion there must be a source of contamination. I have recently been performing 50% water changes weekly. Corals perked back up when I was doing this. I could never find where the contamination was coming from until today...

20201122_183504.jpg

I changed my flow and this piece of wire ribbon came loose from behind my rock. It's been in there since Christmas. I'm happy I finally found what was killing my corals. Not sure how it got in there though. The metal wire was almost completely dissolved and all the color dye has leeched into the water.

If any of you are having trouble keeping sps with a mature tank and stable parameters. Try looking for a foriegn contamination source.

OP
OP
Crashnt24

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank you got? hardly saying that’s not it but I’ve found totally rusted screws in the tank and never noticed...perhaps the type and amount of metal must matter along with water volume...
good find

It's a 75 gallon. I also found a rusted pipe clamp a month ago which also compounded the issue. Plus that ribbon has a powdery paint and glitter applied to it which has been almost completely dissolved. Not sure of the chemicals used in that paint but I'm sure it's not healthy for corals. Hopefully now I will see the Tin start dropping on my ICP tests.

OP
OP
Crashnt24

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take it you are gonna follow up with the usual due diligence ? chemipure, carbon et et
I take it the corals look perkier already

Yeah running carbon right now. Plus I have been doing routine water changes recently. After ther initial die off in February, most of the corals regained color after I did a 75% water change. I was running Triton before so I wasn't doing water changes and the contaminants must of hit a peak when the corals started melting.

Hopefully after a couple more large water changes I can resume the Triton method and stop buying so much salt.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 62 84.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.1%
Back