Finally getting my feet wet! Have a few doubts

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres a HUGE push to save our reefs here, active officers patrolling our beaches. If you're caught polluting, you get a fine of around 200$ (usd i.e)
I know this must be super inconvenient, but honestly it's so much better for the long term. In the US there are TONS of people who import wild colonies, cut them into thirty frags, call them aquacultured, and sell them.

When America passes super strict laws that destroy the reef tank hobby, these chop shops will be to blame.

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this must be super inconvenient, but honestly it's so much better for the long term. In the US there are TONS of people who import wild colonies, cut them into thirty frags, call them aquacultured, and sell them.

When America passes super strict laws that destroy the reef tank hobby, these chop shops will be to blame.
Actually i dont find it too inconvenient.... im currently studying to become a marine biologist in hopes to push the efforts of saving our reefs, so im quite proud that my country took these steps. Now and then i get upset that i cant have a beautiful mini reef, but i remind myself why its being done so

OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually i dont find it too inconvenient.... im currently studying to become a marine biologist in hopes to push the efforts of saving our reefs, so im quite proud that my country took these steps. Now and then i get upset that i cant have a beautiful mini reef, but i remind myself why its being done so
by our reefs i mean the wild ones not the ones we have in our homes

Chrisv.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there must be, i cant buy any where i live..... my dad had a corals when he was in the uk. When he came back here he started a new tank with just the rocks from his old tank
I wonder if there is a way to find members here based on location. Maybe you could start a "reefers in India" thread to connect with local reefers.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alrighty.... I unfortunately cant get corals as of right now... Where i live i need a certificate proving that the coral i own is captive bred and not wild harvested. Only live aquaria provides this and they dont ship internationally right now :(
Sounds like restrictions are high there .
if you don’t mind me asking … where ?

DrLazyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can find corals and live rock here in india, frags too. You only need right people to ask and keep a low profile. Got a few frags in a fish bowl atm lol. Setting up a 110 G mixed reef, going slow as I am curing ocean rock myself.

Last edited:

DrLazyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI all softies are legal, sps lps gorgs clams aren't, but it's a sham tbh ;)
It got banned because people weren't willing to invest in cooling and cheapskates were crashing their tanks in droves.
Most hobbiests here aren't into coral from local waters, because they are mostly dull and pastel colored. In bigger cities nicer morphs from indo etc get cultured and fragged, moves around at hobbiest to hobbiest level

Last edited:
OP
OP
The Fry

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI all softies are legal, sps lps gorgs clams aren't, but it's a sham tbh ;)
It got banned because people weren't willing to invest in cooling and cheapskates were crashing their tanks in droves.
Most hobbiests here aren't into coral from local waters, because they are mostly dull and pastel colored. In bigger cities nicer morphs from indo etc get cultured and fragged, moves around at hobbiest to hobbiest level
The advice that i desperately needed xdd
Now i want to ask a few questions if you dont mind
How exactly do i keep a low profile and who are the people i should be asking?
Are all softies legal or are there any exceptions?
How do i tap into the circle of reef keepers in india??

DrLazyReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The advice that i desperately needed xdd
Now i want to ask a few questions if you dont mind
How exactly do i keep a low profile and who are the people i should be asking?
Are all softies legal or are there any exceptions?
How do i tap into the circle of reef keepers in india??
Reef building corals, skeleton forming corals are not legal to keep in captivity unless you have an aquaculture and IUCN certificate. Corallimorphs I.e. mushrooms, zoanthinds, leather coral, star polyps and photosynthetic octo corals are legal as per guidelines.
As to whom you should be asking depends on which city you live.
PM me, might be able to give pointers.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back