Finally received the unicorn of small skimmers

Toddah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At last the CADlights PLS-50 Elite II skimmer is here! I installed it this morning to replace my Tunze 9004 which worked good but I wanted a bigger collection cup.
20220404_093504.jpg

Please excuse the water drops I rinsed it out before installing it.
So far (15 minutes) I am impressed by the design and materials used in construction. Thick acrylic and crystal clear.
20220404_093508.jpg

The collection cup is a multi function component. No external silencer is required. Its built into the body of the cup, adjustments are easy and right on top. It has a drain hose attachment for external skimmate collection. The whole cup is easy to remove with a twistvto unlock the 3 ears holding it in place.
20220404_093515.jpg

The pump is attached directly to the bottom of the skimmer body and looks very nicely constructed. Super quiet .
Water level in the skimmer nody is adjusted by simply turning the body of the skimmer clockwise or counterclockwise.
Everything fit directly in the first media chamber in my IM Nuvo 40 AIO.
20220404_093512.jpg

Hanging bracket is very well constructed, easy to adjust and sturdy enough to hold everything in position.
So far other than some really poor communications and a month of silence after the order was placed with Mode Aquariums I am happy with the purchase.

OP
OP
T

Toddah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! how's it working? lets see some gunk this thing can pull. I am always skeptic when it comes to unicorns. lol
2 hours in it pulling what looks like water, lots of sticky bubbles but no color yet. My tunze did a good job so I might wait until I feed today to see what develops

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also,the pump in your pics is different from all the ones I found online. Did you replace the pump?
They must of changed things up recently and not updated the pics on the website. Mine is a couple of years old and looks like the one on the website. My pump is black and the hanger is clear and not white. I'm guessing they had to change due to shortages.

JonahDeMarco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They must of changed things up recently and not updated the pics on the website. Mine is a couple of years old and looks like the one on the website. My pump is black and the hanger is clear and not white. I'm guessing they had to change due to shortages.
Makes sense, thanks for the info!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool!

OP
OP
T

Toddah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220406_092541.jpg

Still tuning but this is after 16 hours. I have alot of adjustment left just playing now to get it down to the dark brown I got with my tunze 9004

OP
OP
T

Toddah

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 days of skimate from my heavly fed 40 gallon. Loven it so far

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on getting that, it is indeed super hard to get, or at least it has been. Maybe the new parts yours has had something to do with it. Youre right, they stink at communication. Mine has been a beast and I’m sure yours will be as well. I’m going to go check their site and see if they’ve finally made the replacement pump available. The air inlet on my pump was broken when I received mine from Cadlights, before Mode took over. I repaired it but I’d like to get one that wasn’t broken as a back up.

JonahDeMarco

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not a cadlights pls v2 skimmer…did not even look like it because I have one….I can show u pics if needed…unless they change it
Not sure if you have the old model or if OP does but I know cadlights went back and redesigned the v2 due to negative initial reviews.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back