Finally showcasing my SPS monster... 1300 gallon display... 2000 gallon system... and many past displays

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for sharing your incredible thread, the details, your knowledge and your awesome pictures and of course those tanks ..... well all I can say is I can’t wait to see more so PLEASE keep this thread going!!!

Buffalou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your in depth story and sharing your passion for reefing! I just realized that having gone through similar story, at a much smaller size, it must be a contagious attraction that leads most of us to go from small freshwater guppy stage to large supper sophisticated reefing! This never seems to be a hobby, for me anyway, that I can just say enough, it is good, leave it alone. Now I just have to figure out how to tell my wife were moving into a reef tank :rolleyes:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following your tanks since I started in the sps part of the hobby, 15 years ago. You sir are absolutely one of my favorite aquarists. I just took a peak on the other forum this am, while enjoying a coffee, and thought to myself to reach out to you soon for a pack. Some of your goodies must find a way into my tank. Then I am just scrolling on main page here, and dang, if Copp's pops up again. I was even thinking, I don't recall seeing your system on r2r, I swear I am hearing "twilight zone" music playing in my head, lol :) Absolutely phenomenal stuff, no surprise, you are a master hobbyist! I will be in touch soon, thanks for sharing!!!
Cheers

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting on R2R. The journey you have taken to get to this point is awesome. Have a great Thanksgiving. I will be looking forward to some more pics and updates.

Fish E

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vA63cGD.jpg
I feel like a dummy but could you explain where you are using this material. Is it on the the back panel?

Acropora52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey buddy!

Great to see you still have the passion and your tanks continue to amaze. You're an inspiration to us all :). Hope you and family are doing well and hopefully when the world settles down again we can catch up in person

OP
OP
C

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
THANK YOU R2R community!:) What a pleasant surprise! While I signed up here in '06 I feel like I just moved into the neighborhood... and you guys all made me pies. :D

Thanks for sharing. Followed you on “the other board” but in rereading this it felt like watching a classic movie I’ve seen a bunch of times already... but still can’t turn off :)

213789C9-9755-4A18-9B93-ED5F41E58E5C.gif
Love the GIF! I'm a huge Griswold fan... specifically Clark, as I act just like him. I force fun on our family vacations! :D I have plans to visit all 50 states with the wife and kids... this year was supposed to include New Mexico for Spring Break, then Idaho, Wyoming and Montana in the summer (inlcuding Yellowstone and Glacier)... but that was killed by COVID... I have the same trips planned for next year... and if we can't go I'll be so upset I'll punch the Marty Moose and have to go to the sporting goods store (a reference to the OG National Lampoons Vacation). Anyway, we're at 33 states we've all hit together as a group of four... soon to be 37 hopefully!
LRWUg46.jpg

OP
OP
C

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for your in depth story and sharing your passion for reefing! I just realized that having gone through similar story, at a much smaller size, it must be a contagious attraction that leads most of us to go from small freshwater guppy stage to large supper sophisticated reefing! This never seems to be a hobby, for me anyway, that I can just say enough, it is good, leave it alone. Now I just have to figure out how to tell my wife were moving into a reef tank :rolleyes:
Lol... that's awesome... my wife says eventually I'm moving into my reef tank... when I die she said she's going to use my 1300 as a coffin...

I started with fresh at about six years old... then with salt in middle school... then earlier this year after a 25 year hiatus I got back into freshwater... I've these COVID discus I'm growing out in two 40 gallon breeders... and a 360 gallon freshwater display cycling for them... :)
qgUx4p4.jpg

CEoAyc4.jpg

I got COVID discus, and the kids got a COVID puppy... for years they asked for a "real pet"... I said "you guys have hundreds of fish and thousands of coral polyps as pets!"... anyway... I got to name the dog... here is our six month old Aussiedoodle named Kona (for our love of Hawaii... and more specifically Kona... my love of Kona coffee... Kona means "lady" in Hawaiian... and she's sort of coffee colored)... and of course, while I never wanted the obligation of a dog... she's probably grown on me the most.
BC8UwZP.jpg

Been following your tanks since I started in the sps part of the hobby, 15 years ago. You sir are absolutely one of my favorite aquarists. I just took a peak on the other forum this am, while enjoying a coffee, and thought to myself to reach out to you soon for a pack. Some of your goodies must find a way into my tank. Then I am just scrolling on main page here, and dang, if Copp's pops up again. I was even thinking, I don't recall seeing your system on r2r, I swear I am hearing "twilight zone" music playing in my head, lol :) Absolutely phenomenal stuff, no surprise, you are a master hobbyist! I will be in touch soon, thanks for sharing!!!
Cheers
Thank you for the kind words! For anyone that wants goodies from my tank I posted this frag sale thread here at R2R...

OP
OP
C

copps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like a dummy but could you explain where you are using this material. Is it on the the back panel?
This goes inside the tank... I have many public aquarium buddies and on my visits I get behind the scenes... I strategically place a few magnets here and there to hold it in place on the 1300... but on the 240 it holds in place by itself.

Here's a shot of it at the Steinhart Aquarium... that's MASNA Aquarist of the year... Rich Ross... a great guy to have a beer with...
8z7C8nz.jpg

Here's another shot from the Waikiki Aquarium... this aquarium was a great inspiration to me... despite it's lack of colorful corals... Hawaii doesn't have much so they don't have much to work with... but it's setup is incredible... from the front you see no plumbing or anything... your eyes are fooled into thinking it's a patch or reef, despite the relative small size of the tank. here's a front shot of the tank...
oMtPoyu.jpg

From the top you can understand its setup... and looking at it this way you would not believe how stunning it is from the front...
4LinbuM.jpg

Here's a shot showing the light blue Kydex they use... and a way of keeping carpet surfers in the tank...
AWkG6c4.jpg

Hey buddy!

Great to see you still have the passion and your tanks continue to amaze. You're an inspiration to us all :). Hope you and family are doing well and hopefully when the world settles down again we can catch up in person
Hey Roni! Yup... I'm a lifer in this hobby... and I miss our WAMAS meetings... can't wait for them to start happening again.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 25.9%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back