Finally, the complete rundown on the Kessil A360X | BRStv Investigates

Is the Kessil A360X is worth the extra $100?

• Yes

Votes: 77 54.6%
  • No

Votes: 59 41.8%
  • Other (comment your thoughts)

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We build mine tomorrow. I'll post results. I used a piece of cardboard to determine the smallest size. Came out to about 5.5" to block it. It will mainly just be an outside frame with as little bracing on the top as possible. Which im ok with. I like to have some spots on top of the aquarium to set things on. So that's a plus. I have it drawn up so that I can flip the whole thing up when needed and it sit securely on the aquarium. It'll make accessing thing easier. Even though it's small I'm still adding a frobt door on a hinge.

Fallguy44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, I had the proper Program selected "Quick Tuna 2" Which I made. I will fool around with it again tonight.

Did you figure this out? I can't get mine to turn on as well by itself after the lighting schedule ends.

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, I'm going to fool with it tonight.

Did you make a new "quick set" program or use the "Quick set 1?"

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever the first one was. I didn't make a new one so I guess Quick set 1
Ok. Mine looks as if it's working right now. I'll know more around midnight when my program ends.

I made a thread where I had to reset Quick set 1 to factory default for my program to work. Even though I don't use Quick set one. Some sort of bug.

Fallguy44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Mine looks as if it's working right now. I'll know more around midnight when my program ends.

I made a thread where I had to reset Quick set 1 to factory default for my program to work. Even though I don't use Quick set one. Some sort of bug.

So you reset it, made a new quick set then assigned the lunar mode to the new quick set?

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically. I made my own quick set program. That way I could always change if needed. That way I still have the factory Program if needed etc.

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what my Acclimation Mode looked like.

Lunar would set up the same way.

If you are using Quick set 1 just make sure you have "Based On" Selected to what program.

20190131_223209.jpeg

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Finished make sure you select this in your dashboard.

Acclimation mode is set up the same exact way.
20190131_223525.jpeg

Fallguy44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When Finished make sure you select this in your dashboard.

Acclimation mode is set up the same exact way.
20190131_223525.jpeg

Ah ok. But your normal lighting schedule will still work at the selected times when this is selected in the dashboard?

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok. But your normal lighting schedule will still work at the selected times when this is selected in the dashboard?
As long as you selected it in the program. Correct.

Like I said earlier. It's strange and different way of programing but will make more sense as you use it.

2CC's

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks BRS for the over the top contribution to successful and fun reefing. (Podcasts are great).
So my conundrum. I had early DIY LED's, heard Ryan state "coral food is light - get a good light" so drank the Kessil kool aid and bought a A360We for my 55 Gal mixed reef. Connected it to my Apex, set it to BRS recommendations and it turned my tank around. Very happy.
So now i am looking to purchase a second light to deal with the shadowing. Should i just purchase another 360We, link it to my current one and drive on? Or in the long run (i'm in the hobby for it) should I purchase a new 360x? Will the two models link to each other for controllability? Will I need to buy the spectrum controller to boot? Appreciate your POV.

Dondante

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks BRS for the over the top contribution to successful and fun reefing. (Podcasts are great).
So my conundrum. I had early DIY LED's, heard Ryan state "coral food is light - get a good light" so drank the Kessil kool aid and bought a A360We for my 55 Gal mixed reef. Connected it to my Apex, set it to BRS recommendations and it turned my tank around. Very happy.
So now i am looking to purchase a second light to deal with the shadowing. Should i just purchase another 360We, link it to my current one and drive on? Or in the long run (i'm in the hobby for it) should I purchase a new 360x? Will the two models link to each other for controllability? Will I need to buy the spectrum controller to boot? Appreciate your POV.
You will need the Spectral X control to control both models (W and X.)

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs - First I would like to thank you and the BRS Team for all the amazing videos! I started the hobby about four years ago and have grow-up (so to speak) on BRS video content. I'm positive I would not have had the success I've had if I didn't have access to all this knowledge.

Regarding the A360X video, you mention at 32:08 that the lights are "absolutely dead silent". I've learned over the years this is a "relative or subjective" term and without measuring the Db range against a baseline different people will have different opinions on how loud/quiet they are. I have four A360's running on my tank now and they are the loudest component of my (quite) build. That said - Are the A360X lights quieter than the A360s?

Also - how many lights would you run on a 72" X 26 X 22" SPS dominate tank if money was no object?

Thanks again for what Y'all do!

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ryanbrs - First I would like to thank you and the BRS Team for all the amazing videos! I started the hobby about four years ago and have grow-up (so to speak) on BRS video content. I'm positive I would not have had the success I've had if I didn't have access to all this knowledge.

Regarding the A360X video, you mention at 32:08 that the lights are "absolutely dead silent". I've learned over the years this is a "relative or subjective" term and without measuring the Db range against a baseline different people will have different opinions on how loud/quiet they are. I have four A360's running on my tank now and they are the loudest component of my (quite) build. That said - Are the A360X lights quieter than the A360s?

Also - how many lights would you run on a 72" X 26 X 22" SPS dominate tank if money was no object?

Thanks again for what Y'all do!

They aren't silent and they aren't any quieter than the WEs; I checked both with a decibel meter app via the phone and they were within .1 dB if I remember correctly. Not sure which A360X thread the results are in but I posted it in one of them. With that said, they will be one of the least noisy items on your tank.

Edit: You can find the info and more details here.

Avg sound level (phone app after a 30 second average).

A360X - 39.6 db
A360WE - 39.7 db

Also posted some results from the WEs over my 150g here. Between the threads, you'll notice the X has less PAR at the same mounting height but much better spread.

Last edited:

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't silent and they aren't any quieter than the WEs; I checked both with a decibel meter app via the phone and they were within .1 dB if I remember correctly. Not sure which A360X thread the results are in but I posted it in one of them. With that said, they will be one of the least noisy items on your tank.

Edit: You can find the info and more details here.

Avg sound level (phone app after a 30 second average).

A360X - 39.6 db
A360WE - 39.7 db

Also posted some results from the WEs over my 150g here. Between the threads, you'll notice the X has less PAR at the same mounting height but much better spread.

madweazl, thanks for the detailed reply! I did see your measurements at one point, but I forgot to bookmark your Post so I could go back and ask you a question. I think you might be the only person to have ever measured the difference between the X and WE. By chance, did you do an ambient noise reading before or after testing the lights? Given how close the readings are, I'm wondering if you had something else in the room skewing your results.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
madweazl, thanks for the detailed reply! I did see your measurements at one point, but I forgot to bookmark your Post so I could go back and ask you a question. I think you might be the only person to have ever measured the difference between the X and WE. By chance, did you do an ambient noise reading before or after testing the lights? Given how close the readings are, I'm wondering if you had something else in the room skewing your results.

I didn't have a TV on or anything so the ambient noise was constant for both (I dont recall what it was). I can check again this evening.

Jeff_H

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have a TV on or anything so the ambient noise was constant for both (I don't recall what it was). I can check again this evening.
If you could, that would be great to know... 39-40 db is really quiet, so I'm just wondering if the ambient noise is the same range and throwing off the difference between the two. Either way, I know they're not "dead slient" as suggested. ;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 35.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back