Finding gently used tank and equipment.

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible and safe to try to get some used equipment/tank to try to save money on startup. Would have to be in my local area. See lots of tanks being sold on facebook market place but god knows what you will get. How can you find out if the tank does not leak? Ask that it be filled with at least tap water to find out?

Andrew

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought many small tanks from local online classifieds, never had an issue. Also, these days during pandemic all the meet ups are curbside, so hard to see it filled with water

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely possible to get started with used gear. As far as tanks go, I’d want to leak test it but as @LordofCinder points out I’m not sure how you do this with Covid. I’m seeing a lot of tanks and stands up for sale in Chicago through a local FB group. Some are selling complete systems that they‘re taking down for one reason or another.

Depending upon the size of tank you want to buy a lot of stores have tank sales like $1 / gallon.

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible and safe to try to get some used equipment/tank to try to save money on startup. Would have to be in my local area. See lots of tanks being sold on facebook market place but god knows what you will get. How can you find out if the tank does not leak? Ask that it be filled with at least tap water to find out?

Andrew
too bad you are not in Chicago I have a 150 reef ready tank with sump in my garage you could put some cash on the ground and haul it out cause it's taking up my parking space.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in that same thought starting out. I ended up buying my tank new. Better to be 100% sure on something holding that much water in my living room. Other areas I saved on. Ended up with a 90 gallon in wall tank for under $1000.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
too bad you are not in Chicago I have a 150 reef ready tank with sump in my garage you could put some cash on the ground and haul it out cause it's taking up my parking space.
Wish I was but from Virginia that is a tad bit far. Am looking for about a 50 gallon reed ready tank, Have been thinking about a SCA 50g pnp system but if I could find something for less even better.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in that same thought starting out. I ended up buying my tank new. Better to be 100% sure on something holding that much water in my living room. Other areas I saved on. Ended up with a 90 gallon in wall tank for under $1000.
Well the tank will be in my room and that is in the basement on a concrete floor. So not worrying about messing up the floor but yes would be good if it does not leak.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have bought countless used tanks over the years and never ran into one that leaked. I leak test all of them outside just in case, but al least in my experience there is very little risk.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked all over the place for a 90 gallon used. The money I would have saved just wasn't justified in going used. Can't remember what people wanted but the new tank wasn't much more. I saved money on my initial hardware as well as building my own stand. Buying complete packages is the easy way but doing it yourself saves a lot

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SCA 50 costs just about what I spent on my entire 90 gallon initial setup.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back