Finding good shops in the Hudson valley ny

Discussion in 'Hudson Valley Reef Keepers' started by lzrlvr, May 24, 2018.

1. lzrlvr

lzrlvr Active Member Catskill Reef Member

Does anyone miss davey Jones locker in Albany let me know if there’s a marine aquarium shop as good as they were. Adding photo of montipora from djl added to my system about 1 month ago it’s happy and growing.

6506F3D6-1319-4CFB-A549-4714CBF351DC.jpeg

Tags:

2. dutch27

dutch27 Active Member Hudson Valley Reef Keepers

Never went to that shop. Absolute Corals in Hopewell I found to be good, if you can get there on delivery day. As I understand it, people buy stuff straight from the boxes on delivery day, so you have to plan a bit. His frags can be hit or miss, but the prices are fair, and he'll order stuff for you if have something specific in mind.

The old Fishtopia store in Fishkill is still there, now as Pete's Aquarium. I went there once or twice, it wasn't a bad place. I wasn't impressed with the corals, but he seemed have good fish. I generally preferred Absolute if I was able to time my visit to when I knew there would be selection, generally you'd want to call before going.

I'm unfamiliar with what shops may be up in the Capital District.

The LFS is a tough business, especially with online shops being so prevalent with great selection, so good brick and mortar shops that are able to stay open are tough to come by.

3. lzrlvr

lzrlvr Active Member Catskill Reef Member

Thanks I have been there I had purchased a zoanthid rock that had some zoanthid eating nudibranchs. I do not like the blue lights and some of the corals i saw did not look that healthy. I actually scored some ora corals from Petco in Poughkeepsie before they sat in their tank to long. Here is a photo of one

F0C2E357-BBAF-4B46-9534-05E96B79BE46.jpeg

4. reef lover

reef lover It's a reef thing.... R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Healthy pets in Latham and eddies aquarium off exit 8 are 2 of my favs.

5. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

Definitely worth an hour drive south to check out the reef shoppe....on Sunday's.

reef lover likes this.
  6. reef lover

reef lover It's a reef thing.... R2R Supporter Reef Squad R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Reef shop?? Where are they located?

7. chefjpaul

chefjpaul Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member 2019

Bronx.
    I know, a bit far, but I'm in Westchester

reef lover likes this.
  8. reef lover

Thanks!