Finding good shops in the Hudson valley ny

lzrlvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone miss davey Jones locker in Albany let me know if there’s a marine aquarium shop as good as they were. Adding photo of montipora from djl added to my system about 1 month ago it’s happy and growing.

6506F3D6-1319-4CFB-A549-4714CBF351DC.jpeg

dutch27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never went to that shop. Absolute Corals in Hopewell I found to be good, if you can get there on delivery day. As I understand it, people buy stuff straight from the boxes on delivery day, so you have to plan a bit. His frags can be hit or miss, but the prices are fair, and he'll order stuff for you if have something specific in mind.

The old Fishtopia store in Fishkill is still there, now as Pete's Aquarium. I went there once or twice, it wasn't a bad place. I wasn't impressed with the corals, but he seemed have good fish. I generally preferred Absolute if I was able to time my visit to when I knew there would be selection, generally you'd want to call before going.

I'm unfamiliar with what shops may be up in the Capital District.

The LFS is a tough business, especially with online shops being so prevalent with great selection, so good brick and mortar shops that are able to stay open are tough to come by.

OP
OP
L

lzrlvr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I have been there I had purchased a zoanthid rock that had some zoanthid eating nudibranchs. I do not like the blue lights and some of the corals i saw did not look that healthy. I actually scored some ora corals from Petco in Poughkeepsie before they sat in their tank to long. Here is a photo of one

F0C2E357-BBAF-4B46-9534-05E96B79BE46.jpeg

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy pets in Latham and eddies aquarium off exit 8 are 2 of my favs.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm in Dutchess. Pete's is nearby in Fishkill. He usually has a good selection of fish and inverts. Iconic Aquariums in Tenafly, NJ and Sea Level in Montville, both have an extensive selection of coral, worth the hour drive from where I live.

SomethingfishyPKNY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
House of fins, Greenwich Aquaria in Greenwich, Ct. Absolutely Fish in Clifton, NJ. Are our absolute favorites and well worth the drive. We are located in Poughkeepsie, Ny. Also there are great places in the bronx. Absolute Corals in Hopewell no longer exists. And no offense to Pete, but his store isn't worth your drive at all.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agreed, House of Fins and Greenwich Aquaria are two of the nicest stores you'll ever visit. If you're already in that area of CT, Life Aquatic, in New Canaan, is worth adding to the list. Bonus, the new location is right next to a very nice toy store, if you decide to bring the whole family along.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 167 62.1%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.0%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.0%
Back