Finding large amounts of Florida base rock all over my yard.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago I started digging a new bed in the back yard where an old bed once was. I immediately started finding reef rock complete with every fossilized sea creature you could think of. I started piling them up. I’m close to 80 lbs of the stuff and have found more in other old beds but haven’t dug it up yet.

I talked to a neighbor lady who was friends with the original owners back when the neighborhood was built in 59-63. She told me they had two truck beds full brought over from the spoils pile when they excavated and prepped the land for the development. All of it was used to land scape. Most of it, I believe is still here, just buried in my yard.

I know bleach and muriatic acid will kill off any manner of living thing in the rocks. But, what will clean the years of environment and lawn chemicals off of it? Or, is this rock a lost cause? There are mostly solid blah pieces, but some are really nice pieces of rock. I’d like to clean up and use for a future build.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to say ... that sounds like a typical Florida yard... then I saw where you live. LOL
My instinct would be that if you follow your plan and cycle properly, you'd be good.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to say ... that sounds like a typical Florida yard... then I saw where you live. LOL
My instinct would be that if you follow your plan and cycle properly, you'd be good.
Yeah I’m on the St John’s delta and I know that using that rock for land scape has been extremely popular in the past.

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People used them to prevent weeds. It works quite well from what I hear.
It sure as heck doesn’t prevent Boston fern or nut grass. I just bought the house 8 months ago and the previous owners planted tons of ferns but let the weeds go wild. The yard is going to be a couple of years project. I can’t wait for fall to get some pre emergent down. Then spring to over seed with Bermuda and hopefully choke out all of the St. Augustine.

Critteraholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved finding rock for my freshwater tanks. After scrubbing the crap off it, I would put them in a bucket of water to soak. Everyday I would scrub it and change the water. After a week or when I didn't get any crud off it (whichever is latest) I'd boil it for 15 minutes. If there is foam or gunk in the water, soak/boil again. This has always worked for me. If you still want to bleach, don't forget to soak in highly dechlorinated water to get rid of the bleach. And give it a good rinse/soak after.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You kniw... the movie Poltergeist started with a new development over burial grounds...

Better watch out, Carol Anne.....

poltergeist_1982_photo_hero-1-1138x640.jpg

OP
OP
Townes_Van_Camp

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You kniw... the movie Poltergeist started with a new development over burial grounds...

Better watch out, Carol Anne.....

poltergeist_1982_photo_hero-1-1138x640.jpg
I know it did. How did you know my house was built on the ancient timuquan burial grounds AND the chaseville freedmens cemetery both? No joke. Graves all exhumed in 58/59 and moved across town. My walls don’t bleed though.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back