Finding Sauce (a lot of tanks in a little time) RSR 250 Nem tank

Should this thread get an obituary, or turned into the nem thread?

• Kill it with fire

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Kill it with Draino

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Merci Mister...

Votes: 17 89.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a Sinularia if it has bone like growth (scerlites) in its base its a sinularia. If not than its a Nepthea.
My sinularia has that same growth and color under blue when its all closed up. In the day all open looks like a tanish pink color.
I doint recall anything bone like. In fact it feels like it's got a spine of jello so that helps a lot. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it looks really nice. I'm jealous. Some bright colors would look great. Have too much green in my tank. I'm looking for a few bright colors that are easy to grow. Read the whole post.
Thank you much. I'm also really excited to get the reds/orange/yellow in here too.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone's filling in and opening nicely. I cannot wait to get my other fish in this tank. Having three fish in the 120 and 10 in the half full 75 is off. How long do y'all think is an appropriate length of time to test frequently and ensure the tank is not going to crash post move before I start moving over livestock? I've removed most of the original fish from this system . I'm hoping that isn't an issue being as I took out 5 and will be staggered moving in ten.

Took water to the lfs today for the full panel, he said everything is looking fantastic.
PXL_20210309_025554061.jpg

Today I installed the inkbird controller, removed the 1500 gph power head from the top right corner and installed my wave maker on the top right, just front of center and about 3" down from the water line. The Anemone had stretched around the corner and way way too close for comfort. There is still another 1500 in the top left corner aiming down into my Wave Maker flow. I feel like there's a little bit too much flow still going on in there. If I get the Wave Maker all the way to the bottom I may switch out my 1500 for an 850 in the smaller tank.

Last edited:

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be fine moving over. The rock is still alive. The sooner you get some fish over the happier the bacteria will be
Agreed. A few at a time should be no issue. Just add a few, give it a few days for the bacteria to catch up, then add a few more. Test nitrate a few times in the process and adjust your export methods for reduction accordingly.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin O @sfin52 Thanks a bunch. I think I'll move the Cardinals over today. They are poo machines. Gotta keep the bacteria happy for sure.

@Eagle_Steve funny you bring up export methods. I have not yet had the chance to do the full tear down, soak, cleaning on the sump and equipment stored within. Yesterday I pulled the filter sock to clean and the acrylic bracket snap clean off. I ran to my shop right before closing and picked one up. Was reinstalling it and noticed how deep in the water my skimmer sits. I do not have a manual for it and one isn't available online. Took a tape measure and measured it 10.5 Inches. Took to the Google machine looking for specs on this which led me to Amazon. In the questions section I found this skimmer should be run between six and six and a half inches of water..... . No freaking wonder the skimmer cup is still not filling up... Going to figure out something to put under it today to raise it up. I think that will help a lot with cleanup. Honestly I don't think the skimmer is even party to the export system right now. It's not doing anything. Filter sock works great and the rock is imo doing most of the work. Nitrates still 15-20 : )

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked around at the sinularia and it looks like they should stand up pretty much on their own. Mine has been laying up and supported by the glass for 5 years. It has perked up a lot but doesn't support it's own body weight well.

Will the coral "strengthen up" and eventually support itself if I place it somewhere not being fully supported or would it be best to keep it supported as it has been? I'd love it too stand on its own but have plenty of places it can lay back and chill.

On the support topic, this weekend I unbound the toadstool leather who's base and stalk was totally encrusted by gsp. It looked like the leather had tried to split before but was being held together by the GSP. Since very carefully removing it's GSP encasement, I have all so had to support this toadstool as it seems the GSP was providing all the backbone. I'm hoping the answers to these two are the same.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've looked around at the sinularia and it looks like they should stand up pretty much on their own. Mine has been laying up and supported by the glass for 5 years. It has perked up a lot but doesn't support it's own body weight well.

Will the coral "strengthen up" and eventually support itself if I place it somewhere not being fully supported or would it be best to keep it supported as it has been? I'd love it too stand on its own but have plenty of places it can lay back and chill.

On the support topic, this weekend I unbound the toadstool leather who's base and stalk was totally encrusted by gsp. It looked like the leather had tried to split before but was being held together by the GSP. Since very carefully removing it's GSP encasement, I have all so had to support this toadstool as it seems the GSP was providing all the backbone. I'm hoping the answers to these two are the same.

I would assume it would toughen up if placed in the "right" (for it) location. I have a variety of toadstools, sinularia, and nepthea and all of them support themselves just fine. They will slump occasionally when shedding or if I change flow and they're pouting, but they always perk back up.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would assume it would toughen up if placed in the "right" (for it) location. I have a variety of toadstools, sinularia, and nepthea and all of them support themselves just fine. They will slump occasionally when shedding or if I change flow and they're pouting, but they always perk back up.
I am hoping this as well for my tank. Currently, my toadstool leather seems to be leaning forward one morning, then back in the evening, maybe upright next morning, then back again, etc.
At times, it supports itself quite well, and polyp extension has been very good except for a few days for a shed a couple months ago.

Since I am relatively new to this and not focusing on this FOWLR as much as I should due to remodel and new setup work, I am not sure if this is normal or caused by lack of care on my part.

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping this as well for my tank. Currently, my toadstool leather seems to be leaning forward one morning, then back in the evening, maybe upright next morning, then back again, etc.
At times, it supports itself quite well, and polyp extension has been very good except for a few days for a shed a couple months ago.

Since I am relatively new to this and not focusing on this FOWLR as much as I should due to remodel and new setup work, I am not sure if this is normal or caused by lack of care on my part.
Great info thanks!

I'm also elbow deep in a first floor remodel. Going on month 6 since a leaking pipe in the wall forced the issue. Still no kitchen appliances other than a microwave, cabinets, drywall, or lighting circuit. I'm so over it!

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Erin O @sfin52 Thanks a bunch. I think I'll move the Cardinals over today. They are poo machines. Gotta keep the bacteria happy for sure.

@Eagle_Steve funny you bring up export methods. I have not yet had the chance to do the full tear down, soak, cleaning on the sump and equipment stored within. Yesterday I pulled the filter sock to clean and the acrylic bracket snap clean off. I ran to my shop right before closing and picked one up. Was reinstalling it and noticed how deep in the water my skimmer sits. I do not have a manual for it and one isn't available online. Took a tape measure and measured it 10.5 Inches. Took to the Google machine looking for specs on this which led me to Amazon. In the questions section I found this skimmer should be run between six and six and a half inches of water..... . No freaking wonder the skimmer cup is still not filling up... Going to figure out something to put under it today to raise it up. I think that will help a lot with cleanup. Honestly I don't think the skimmer is even party to the export system right now. It's not doing anything. Filter sock works great and the rock is imo doing most of the work. Nitrates still 15-20 : )
What type of skimmer?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slimey is prob nepthea.
Agree with @danieyella they seem to like a moderate to moderate heavy flow. They will adapt to almost any lightning. I have have them bottom middle top and sides of the tank and all do well.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great info thanks!

I'm also elbow deep in a first floor remodel. Going on month 6 since a leaking pipe in the wall forced the issue. Still no kitchen appliances other than a microwave, cabinets, drywall, or lighting circuit. I'm so over it!
Interesting you bring it up; my remodel has been delayed since I am helping my brother with a remodel at his house. A water pipe froze in the Livingroom, so they are replacing the hardwood flooring and tearing out a wall. This puts my project on pseudo-hold! (He has a family dependent on their house, my house is only for me right now)

OP
OP
Lost in the Sauce

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the stupid beeping again. This was on the app. Looks like an alarm that the heater has been on for a long time. I Replaced the old heater with a 300w last week and I'm still trying to get the temp up.
Screenshot_20210309-084332.png
tank currently sitting at 75.7. we keep the house pretty cool and windows open with 40° nights is this telling me that I need an additional heater?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back